Fear of adding calories

Options
I have dieted successfully a number of times in the past. (I just had my third baby.) I have always done it by counting calories with the theory (in my head) that: if I lose some weight at X calories, then I'll lose more with Y. ( I would never go below 1200 calories. Ever.) I started into my diet right after Christmas, when my little guy was 2 months old. I accounted for (tmi, for dudes?) breastfeeding calories at first, but as my appetite adjusted and the scale started to go down, I found myself hovering around 1300 calories on average. Fast forward 3 months, and I was down 30ish pounds, which was amazing... and then I got stuck. For six. Long. Weeks. Not a pound.

At this same time, my exercise schedule had really bumped up. I am training for a half marathon, and right around then was when my schedule stopped being: 20/25 min 4x a week and started being: 4, 5, 6... miles a day for the 4 days. I have NEVER been one to intentionally eat back my calories. Again, it's in my head...

After the 6 weeks, I was beginning to get desperate. Besides, what was one more week if it didn't work? I bumped my daily average up to 1500 calories and I made a point of eating back the majority of my workout calories. (on a 7 mile run, when you burn 880+ calories, unless you are eating a full pizza or two cheeseburger meal from Mcd's, it is HARD to get the calories back the right way).

I will say, it was kinda an emotional struggle. All week, I thought about, "I better not be gaining!!" I avoided daily weigh-ins so to not get frustrated, and waited for the week to go by.

On Sunday's weigh-in, I was relieved to see a 2.5 lb loss.

This morning, I jumped on the scale simply from habit, and then stared at it for a while. (My scale isn't digital, so it took me a second to read it; I'm an idiot.) today's registered ANOTHER 3.5 lbs... also known as SIX POUNDS in ELEVEN DAYS!

I can't say how excited I was to BUST through the plateau; one that has not only plagued me for the last 6 weeks, but was also the point I couldn't break through after my 2nd baby.

Here's to the final 15!!!!

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Great work!!!!!!!!!!!
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Well done!
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Keep it up girl!!
  • niamouse
    niamouse Posts: 1
    Options
    Congrats!!! It's encouraging to know that ADDING calories burned from exercise actually made the difference in losing the weight...that's a great story!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been stuck on a plateau for the last 5 weeks myself. I recently bumped my calories up to 1800 from 1550, and was shocked when I was down a pound this morning. Not going to get too excited until I see it stick for a few more days though. :ohwell:
  • Dkittery
    Dkittery Posts: 82
    Options
    That is an amazing story... Good for you.... :) Keep up the great work... :):)
  • jackgomb
    jackgomb Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been in the same boat when it comes to eating the calories you burn while working out. I work out at least 5-7 times a week with cardio, Zumba, and runs. I have been on Weight Watchers for years, and am in the maintenance period since I reached my lifetime goal about 5 months ago (yay!) BUT, the weeks have come when I tried to lose a pound or two to get back to my lifetime wieght in time for the monthly weigh in, and NADDA! I've been told (several times) by the WW leaders and countless others, that I need to "eat what I burn"...but it's so HARD to think that by eating MORE you will LOSE! But you're right when you say that the key is to eat the right KIND of calories...not sugar or junk, but proteins and good carbs. Refuel you rbody and it will treat you right! Keep up the good work!
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

After the 6 weeks, I was beginning to get desperate. Besides, what was one more week if it didn't work? I bumped my daily average up to 1500 calories and I made a point of eating back the majority of my workout calories. (on a 7 mile run, when you burn 880+ calories, unless you are eating a full pizza or two cheeseburger meal from Mcd's, it is HARD to get the calories back the right way).

You were brave to up your cals. Good for you for giving it a shot! Sounds like you really work them off too!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Please keep us posted on how you do.... I stuck right now.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was not on a plateau, but when I got a HRM, I found I was burning more calories than I had estimated. I started eating more and have been losing 2 - 2.5# per week for the past 5 -6 weeks. It was hard to do - I had the same mindset as you!
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats.

Let me start with saying I'm no expert, the below comments are just my experience.

You will find that eating back your calories is exactly what caused you to lose weight. While that may be confusing that you are eating a bit more and still losing weight it is because you have eaten that your metabolism has kick started again and you have began to burn those cals. If you were only eatin 1300 and exercising and not losing weight then you probably have a net calorie intake of about 700 which is way way way to low. You need to have a net of at least 1200 for females and 1500 for me (I think) and that is a bare minimum. I would recommend 1500 and 1700 for females and males respectively.

That is why I like this site so much because it encourages you to eat back your calories so that your body's metabolism doesn't shut down and plateaus don't occur. Keep up the good work.
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    You were brave to up your cals

Thank you, it really was a HARD mental struggle all week. I think, an honest to goodness FEAR of failure.

And thank you, everyone! Wow, what support! I tried telling my husband and he just tuned me out ;)
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing... i was listening to a podcast that Jillian Michaels did about plateaus and she basically says the same thing... trick your body by eating more and working out less then switch it up.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is definitely encouraging for me because I've plateaued for two weeks. I'm considering upping my calories, but I'm too scared! :/
  • jamievolner
    jamievolner Posts: 35
    Options
    I am very glad to hear you rode out that plateau....i know those can be discouraging and yet you hung in there. CONGRATS
  • ajmz319
    ajmz319 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! thanks for posting!!! good info for me to hear :)
  • kaylah_x
    kaylah_x Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How do you actually 'up' your calories on your profile? Is there somewhere where you can just put in whatever, and im just to blind to see it? lol
  • cecrossley
    cecrossley Posts: 46
    Options
    How do you actually 'up' your calories on your profile? Is there somewhere where you can just put in whatever, and im just to blind to see it? lol

From your phone, it's under "more" then "edit profile", "preferences"
    From the computer, "my home," "goals, " "edit goals." ?
  • Stephene41
    Stephene41 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :smile: Keep up the good work.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    congrats! good luck on making it to your goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!