Tips at the gym

Options
As an inexperienced gym user I would welcome any tips or advice whilst working out. My first visit was yesterday and I had a program set up for me using treadmill, bike, chest press, leg press, cross trainer, bicep curler and other weighted machines that I can't remember the name of... my 14 year old son joined with me too. The arm weights were programmed for me to use 15kg 2 lots of 20 reps and the legs 1 lot of 20kg and 1 of 30kg. I must say I am aching today especially my abdominal muscles but I know it's for the good...

As I said any tips whether it be what to eat or drink whilst working out, how soon before after.. best things to use for problem areas, mine are arms, bust and belly. Is it better to go everyday? Or is it better to have a rest day, I am in the totally unfit category.Thanks for any replies :)

Replies

• WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    tips? Only real tips there is - Try to keep form, Use lesser weights while learning how to lift.

Also Ignore everyone else, be polite - but your there to do your own thing, You get out of gym as much as you put in.
  • MrsRMR
    Options
    tips? Only real tips there is - Try to keep form, Use lesser weights while learning how to lift.

Also Ignore everyone else, be polite - but your there to do your own thing, You get out of gym as much as you put in.

Thank you. I had an initial program set up for me when I joined but to have a personal instructor costs again, something I cannot do at the moment, so whether these weights are the right weight for me I am unsure. I survived yesterday but still feel it so I guess they are ok. Yes ignoring everyone else but being polite is good advice I noticed most had headphones in and were in their own little world ( I need to buy some) Also I noticed most drinking water throughout I know it is important to keep hydrated but there were those that weren't. Seems like a basic question I know and I feel silly asking it but is it necessary whilst weight lifting? I have committed financially to the gym so I will be putting everything I have into it, around work, thanks again
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Keeping your body hydrated is really important, but if your planning on cardio only sip water to make sure your hydrated.

Only you can tell if the weight are right for you. If you do a set of 10 and find it easy, move up 5kg. and keep doing this until you find it a bit difficult to get through the set!

Personal trainers are good - on occasion. But nothing your told from them cant be learned by yourself. I have been in the gym on and off for about 18months now and there is tonnes I can learn. All i know is... Its a self battle, and you have to make it work for you.

^^ all ive written for example is of my opinion and experience. Someone else could come along and give a total different explanation. Sorry - its not easy but Keep with it and you will figure it out.

You probably should start with that Strong lifts for women, book. Everyone says it is a good guide.
  • jscot002
    jscot002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My advise for a beginner is do what feels good for you. Getting to the gym is the hardest problem. The best time to excerise is in the morning as your body burns calories all day but after work is easier. Pick a time a stick to it. Put notes in fitness pal of what you did, how long, and did you like it.
    Consider how fit you are. Do the routine that works for you and makes you happy. My programme was 3 days pw for 60 min. They showed me all the machines and wrote the list. I ended up just doing 20 min on walker, 20 on stepper thing and another 20 on floor, or rower, or bike depending on how I felt after work. As you get fitter retook at the programme and add something eg weights back in. Unless you are really fit you don't need a personal trainer.
    Do you go to the gym to get fit, loose weight, play sport or run a marathon. It's your body and you know how much to push. Discomfort is good put pain is bad. It's better to have small goals that you can do and increase steadily than do nothing or pull a muscle. Every journey starts with a step, you can't run before you walk and don't be judgemental of your own body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nothing earth shattering, I'm afraid.

Eating, both what you eat and when, is largely going to be about personal preference. Work within your calorie goal, but when you eat is really up to you. Some people need to eat before they workout, some people do better on an empty stomach. Some people like to have something right after, others don't.

Regarding rest days, we can make some recommendations, but it'll really come down to how you feel and a bit of common sense. If you're sore or fatigued from the previous workout to the point where it legitimately affects your ability to train, then a rest day is probably in order. You'll figure out what that means for you over time. If you do decide to take a rest day, that doesn't mean you HAVE to be a bump on a log. Many people take active recovery days, where they will do something light/low intensity (stretching, walking, yoga, whatever). It can be a good compliment to their workouts and using sore muscles is a great way to help them recover faster.

As a beginner, I'd focus on the basics - hit your calorie goal, keep your workout intensity high, and be patient. Those 3 things are the greatest keys to progress, regardless of goals. Once you get those down, then worry about some of the finer details.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    jscot002 wrote: »
    My advise for a beginner is do what feels good for you. Getting to the gym is the hardest problem. The best time to excerise is in the morning as your body burns calories all day but after work is easier. Pick a time a stick to it. Put notes in fitness pal of what you did, how long, and did you like it.
    Consider how fit you are. Do the routine that works for you and makes you happy. My programme was 3 days pw for 60 min. They showed me all the machines and wrote the list. I ended up just doing 20 min on walker, 20 on stepper thing and another 20 on floor, or rower, or bike depending on how I felt after work. As you get fitter retook at the programme and add something eg weights back in. Unless you are really fit you don't need a personal trainer.
    Do you go to the gym to get fit, loose weight, play sport or run a marathon. It's your body and you know how much to push. Discomfort is good put pain is bad. It's better to have small goals that you can do and increase steadily than do nothing or pull a muscle. Every journey starts with a step, you can't run before you walk and don't be judgemental of your own body.

I disagree that only the "really fit" need a trainer. I was VERY unfit when I got my first trainer. I struggled along on my own for a year before I hired him. He showed me that I was capable of so much more than I ever imagined I could do.

With the help of this absolutely amazing man, I have lost 4 clothing sizes. I have come out of my shell, and found ME again. There are weight lifters and bodybuilders who stop and watch me!