Brown Rice Discovery!

Options
Pea4jjab
Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
I am so excited! I found a way to make brown rice that most of my children will eat now :) For every cup of rice you'll use (I use 2 cups because it's my dh and I plus 8 of our 9 children), put 2 cups of water, rice, and 1 T. of plain yogurt (I used my own homemade yogurt that I made yesterday). You soak that for about 7 hours, then DON'T DRAIN, but add 3/4 tsp. of salt, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 50 minutes. It was soooo good :)

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    bumping to save...thank you for the idea
  • K3LLYSU3
    K3LLYSU3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    so I assume its not instant rice. Whole grain rice? Is it a tablespoon of yogurt?
  • Pea4jjab
    Options
    Yes, I only use whole grain brown rice. And yes, tablespoon of yogurt. It made the rice soft and mellow, almost like white rice.
  • Nykki71
    Nykki71 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump... I must try that thanks...
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Cool idea, thanks.
  • divadebz
    divadebz Posts: 31
    Options
    My children will only eat brown rice, not so keen on the white go figure. We use a rice steamer and it makes a huge difference to the taste and texture over hard boiling because let's face it, who ever heard of kids loving brown rice over white? LOL
  • megansmom311
    megansmom311 Posts: 168
    Options
    I can never get brown rice to cook properly. I'll have to give this a try!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have to try this!
  • Pea4jjab
    Options
    Glad I could help out :) And ftr, I used the leftover brown rice today to make awesome stir fried rice with veggies for lunch- YUM!