Motivation to go to the gym..

Options
Finally in the middle of January I found and signed up for a gym close to me. It was cheap and it has everything I need. Might not be the best, but It is pretty good.

I have gone there a couple of times and it was good, but now I have lost any motivation to go there... The thing is the gym is in the same building as my job and I go there to work 3 times on the weekend. The road is always the same, I listen to the same music, walk the same, everything has already set into a routine. (Working there since Dec.) I just dread the walk there. I know it sounds so stupid, but unless I have to go to work I don't want to walk there.. It's already making me feel sick. Don't know how to explain it. Also it takes me 20 minutes to walk there and back so = 40mins. When I wake up it takes me around 30minutes to get ready for the gym with breakfast. 1hour and 10. Then I would spend an hour there 2 hours 10mins... Then come home shower and if I have to go somewhere get ready again (40minutes)... So that is almost 3hours on the gym ordeal all together, and i feel like it shouldn't take so long. I know I am trying to make excuses but those numbers are keeping me off the gym.

Please is there anybody who can give me some hard love and push me to go? Any motivational speeches? Anybody? ~~

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym after your shift at work. You are already there anyway.

If you have an excuse to not go after work then go to work early. If you have an excuse making you unable to go before work then take this advice.........Stop making excuses.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    a few ideas - jog to the gym so that it cuts down your walking time and doubles as your warm up. you could do 30 mins or so of weights and then jog home again, so that 1 hr 40 of your time gets cut to 50 mins or there abouts. As others have said, going before work is great so that you can just shower at the gym and then hop on it to work :-)
    -
    It can be hard at first finding the time and establishing a good routine, but after a few weeks it gets easier
  • nmcquay77
    nmcquay77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey i need the same motivation at times keep it up add if u like we can push eachother
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I hear your pain, I do. But the unfortunate truth is that Rome wasn't built in a day, and any excuses they may have had needed to be cast aside in order to get *kitten* done. Same goes for getting in shape. I have an hour drive to work 4 days a week, 10 hours a day, then another hour home and fortunately the gym is only an extra 10 minutes out of the way, but after a 10+ hour shift, and being awake since 5am, that's the LAST dang place I feel like going...

So yeah, the tough love truth to it, (because that's what's worked for me) is nothing worth obtaining comes easy. So suck it up buttercup, and remember-- you got this!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Because the time will pass whether we go to the gym or not. Just do it! And if the class isn't your thing.. then do something at home. Youtube, fitness magazine websites, pinterest all have plenty of workouts. No excuses.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Who is Gym?
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love when I get new music, so sometime to motivate me, I won't let myself listen to music unless I'm at the gym. So once I'm there, I reward myself with my new music!

• granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sauleeh wrote: »
    Finally in the middle of January I found and signed up for a gym close to me. It was cheap and it has everything I need...
    I have gone there a couple of times and it was good, but now I have lost any motivation to go there... The thing is the gym is in the same building as my job ..The road is always the same, ... (Working there since Dec.) I just dread the walk there. .. It's already making me feel sick. .. it takes me 20 minutes to walk there and back so = 40mins... the gym ordeal ..I know I am trying to make excuses but those numbers are keeping me off the gym.

You're 19, have a cheap gym in the same building you work in. You've been working there for 3 months and have only been a couple of times. There's plenty of people that dont have a gym so accessible.

If its such an ordeal, save yourself money and give up the gym. There's a theory that a habit develops after 25 repeats. Start a habit of going to the gym before during or after work. Someone also suggested running to the gym to warm up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I spent years (almost a decade) finding a million and one excuses not to exercise.

Good luck.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Find a routine in the gym that you enjoy. I can't just walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes because it bores me silly. I love lifting weights and now that I have realized this, I look forward to it. It sounds like you need to spice up your routine. As for music, you have more songs than the ones on your current playlist, right? Change it up!
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh and what I think is most important is, you have to want it, to lose weight and change yourself. If you don't want it bad enough, it's not going to get done.
  • claudPolo
    claudPolo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I'd probably feel the same. But find a class in the gym, or something you really love, or something that will just make you super excited to go to the gym, and stick with it so that it's something you look forward to instead of dreading. Maybe it's a (healthy) reward after. Find something that will motivate you. For me it's my Body Pump class that I go to 3 days a week. I go in between those days too, but I make sure to not skip those 3 days. And on Fridays i treat myself with a healthy treat after a 2 gym session. Something I look forward to every Friday.
    Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Sauleeh wrote: »
    Finally in the middle of January I found and signed up for a gym close to me. It was cheap and it has everything I need. Might not be the best, but It is pretty good.

I have gone there a couple of times and it was good, but now I have lost any motivation to go there... The thing is the gym is in the same building as my job and I go there to work 3 times on the weekend. The road is always the same, I listen to the same music, walk the same, everything has already set into a routine. (Working there since Dec.) I just dread the walk there. I know it sounds so stupid, but unless I have to go to work I don't want to walk there.. It's already making me feel sick. Don't know how to explain it. Also it takes me 20 minutes to walk there and back so = 40mins. When I wake up it takes me around 30minutes to get ready for the gym with breakfast. 1hour and 10. Then I would spend an hour there 2 hours 10mins... Then come home shower and if I have to go somewhere get ready again (40minutes)... So that is almost 3hours on the gym ordeal all together, and i feel like it shouldn't take so long. I know I am trying to make excuses but those numbers are keeping me off the gym.

Please is there anybody who can give me some hard love and push me to go? Any motivational speeches? Anybody? ~~

If this is what is holding you back, then go to the gym only when you go to work. The other days, if you're already in an area where you can safely walk back and forth to the gym/office, can you find another walking route? Go the opposite direction so that you get a change of scenery and change of routine.

Can you walk / jog by a park? Use the benches and playground equipment and do body weight exercises at the same time. You can utilize your time better. Just find what works for you.