When is the best time I should weigh myself?

Options
Most people say I should in the morning, but that's when I'll be the lightest weight. Is this my true weight? I want to see honest numbers on the scale, not numbers that I prefer.

Replies

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You'll be at your lightest because your body will be more dehydrated and your stomach will be empty. Weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day. The numbers in the morning are just as honest as the numbers at any other time.

Weighing yourself first thing right after you've gone to the bathroom is good practice because it gives you the same base stats, so to speak, every day. This makes it easier to track your progress. If you weigh yourself before bed, for instance, your weight will be affected by how much water you've had and the size of your dinner, etc. You might notice more variation because of this.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    same morning-once a week
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How is it any more honest to weigh at the end of the day when you've been eating food and drinking fluids all day long? :stuck_out_tongue:

The most important thing is to be consistent when you DO weigh, and for most, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom is the easiest and best time.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the mornings and at night just to watch how I fluctuate. But for progress I only check in with one weight on Sundays. Pick whatever day works good for you and log it once a week. Also get a cloth measuring tape and track your waist, hips, chest and stuff too. Sometimes the scale wont move, but you are building muscle and losing fat.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I always weigh first thing in the morning to keep it consistent. Easy to remember and easy to do as I'm getting dressed. I usually weight myself every 2-3 days.
  • Tandysbooty
    Tandysbooty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh same day weekly in the morning only in my underwear so I know that clothes aren't adding lbs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's the time that you can be most consistent really - as hydration levels, clothing, food in your system can all impact on the scale

At least first thing in the morning, after you've used the bathroom and nekkid you can limit the impact of these

There's no such thing as a 'true' weight though .. just a weight range
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference. Your body needs to sleep to reset it's self. If you don't sleep enough it will be harder for you to lose weight. But remember if you are exercising muscle weighs more than fat.
  • bmj2015
    bmj2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also do first thing in the morning, right out of bed and before I've had anything to drink or eat. I weigh myself on Mondays and Fridays. (It's easy for me to eat healthy and light during the week, but harder on the weekends, so weighing in at the beginning of the weekend and first thing Monday morning helps keep me on track Fri/Sat/Su. It's all psychological but it helps me!)
  • bobbybigbones
    bobbybigbones Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning as soon as I wake up just to make sure I'm on track although I only really record it once a week. I suppose it doesn't matter if the numbers aren't completely "honest" as long as they're going down every week and you're weighing yourself under the same conditions every time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Morning, nude, after the toilet and before the coffee. You may be a bit dehydrated and your stomach is empty, unlike pretty much any other time of day, but it is the time that will be the most consistent. When looking for trends, you want to eliminate as many variables as you can and clothing, food, and fluids during the day are the biggest variables.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    What the other have said, pretty much.

My routine is, Monday morning, get up, go to the loo, strip off, weigh in. That is the "official weigh in" for the week. I usually repeat the process again on Friday as a check in to see how I'm doing, but that is not logged, just for my own "barometer" so to speak, and unless there is something else going on, I do NOT get on the scale at any other time.
  • hollyweinkauf
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who's replied (: you've all been very polite in replies and gave me a better understanding. Im new to diets and weight watching, so I really need all the helpful tips I can get. I appreciate all of your answers and generosity (:
  • Emma8882015
    Emma8882015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings work for me, right before the weekend which can sometimes be a little "bad" in comparison to the work week.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week in the morning before breakfast.