Sugar Withdrawal?

Options
I have only been part of MFP for 3 days.
Its made me realize how many carbs and sugar i normally consume. Naturally I have cut out most of both in the fast few days because the sugary things I normally eat aren't worth taking up 1/3rd of my calories for such a small portion. I feel good about this but...

Ive been headachy and dizzy for the past 3 days. I just clued in that it could be my body reacting to the lack of sugar? Could this be? Ive heard of sugar or carb withdrawal but for some reason I didnt really clue in that it could actually be so bad but I dont know what else it could be. Im still consuming like 3 times as much sugar as I should just from fruit alone but not nearly as much as Im used to.

If it is. How do I make it pass? How long does it last?

Replies

• catarina
    Options
    I have only been part of MFP for 3 days.
    Its made me realize how many carbs and sugar i normally consume. Naturally I have cut out most of both in the fast few days because the sugary things I normally eat aren't worth taking up 1/3rd of my calories for such a small portion. I feel good about this but...

Ive been headachy and dizzy for the past 3 days. I just clued in that it could be my body reacting to the lack of sugar? Could this be? Ive heard of sugar or carb withdrawal but for some reason I didnt really clue in that it could actually be so bad but I dont know what else it could be. Im still consuming like 3 times as much sugar as I should just from fruit alone but not nearly as much as Im used to.

If it is. How do I make it pass? How long does it last?
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    It happens with caffeine, I bet it can happen with sugar too. Probably time and water will help, but I don't know. I've not been in that situation myself... good luck though...
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    hang in there...i have heard that 3 days is the magic number (for any type of withdrawal - caffeine, sugar, etc) so if you can just make it through 3 days you will start to feel better...my friend is on day 2 of the same thing and she is miserable!...baby steps will be worth the outcome so be strong!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bondst
    Options
    Girl hang in there i've been experiencing the exact same thing. That's what it is it's the withdrawal from the sugars and carbs. I guess your body is so used to consuming lots of sugar and carbs that when you reduce your intake your body is in shock like "What the hell is going on." Trust me it will go away your body just as to get used to it.
  • cmdelux
    Options
    Hang in there ! When I started this I felt awful the first few days - I was tired all the time and yes, a little dizzy now and then. Now after eating better for close to 3 weeks I am feeling great - amazing how much clearer-headed and alive it has made me feel. So don't give up ! Keep plugging along and drink plenty of water. Get extra rest if you can too, that will help. Good luck!
  • catarina
    Options
    Thank you all. :)

I wanted chocolate or cake or ANYTHING sweet yesterday. I tried to curve that with 1/5 of a cup of diluted blueberry juice and some mango.
  • dberendsen
    Options
    :smile: Your right about the sugar withdraw. You might want to try chewing a piece of sugar free gum
    when you are craving something sweet. It will pass!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try a package of Sugar Free Hot Cocoa!!! That might help with the cravings.
  • catarina
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I will pick some up today!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough and drinking enough water? Are you coming off of a higher caffeine intake?

MFP recommends 60% carbohydrates. At that level, you shouldn't feel starved for glucose. 60% is high even for an endurance athlete. Cravings for sweets aren't the same as dizziness or fatigue due to low blood sugar, which you shouldn't be experiencing if you're eating the amount of carbohydrates MFP recommends.