Quinoa

Options
2»

Replies

• Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tried it, liked it. But I rinsed well, toasted then simmered with chicken broth and lots of veggies and just a bit of low sodium soy sauce. It's very filling so calories not worrisome. I little is all it takes to make a meal
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I've seen with friends trying it and not liking it....is they didn't rinse it.

I rinse even the brands that claim it's been rinsed. Quinoa has a naturally occurring substance covering it that is bitter and rinsing is needed.

After that, I mostly cook it like rice, but it does needs some flavor added to it. Whether eaten warm or cold, I like it with a little vinegar of some type along with other seasonings (depending on what the meal is) and some olive oil.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tnwlkr43 wrote: »
    cooked in soup or something not to bad....but it definitely needs flavor. I made some last night boiled it in veggie broth, not to bad but the dog is finishing it up tonight..lol

Let us know if the dog loses weight

I dont think she will, she didnt eat it....lmbo She ate everything around it and left that in her bowl. That tells us something~

ETA, I do rinse mine when I cook it..the first time I didnt the second time I saw on the package to rinse.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Smells disgusting. Stick to Ready Brek instead....
  • sandeeking
    Options
    I absolutely love it...I use it instead of rice and pasta..I also use it as a salad base sometimes..instead of lettuce I will use quinoa and add all my salad toppings on that :)
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My wife introduced me to Quinoa salad about a month ago and now I can't get enough of it.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I recently discovered this. FYI it is pronounced "keen-wa" just a public service announcement so you don't end up looking like a fool pronouncing it the way that it looks at the store while trying to find it. LOL! (I did this) Anyhow, I made turkey meatballs and substituted the breadcrumbs with quinoa and it was delicious!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it's not really a low calorie alternative to other grains. About the same as brown rice. But definitely has more vitamins & minerals by comparison.

I actually really like it. But make sure you rinse it. I cook mine with broth, because I agree it's rather mild. We primarily use it in place of rice as a side dish. But you can use it in place of breadcrumbs in things like meatballs and crab cakes, etc.
  • kruuTahn
    kruuTahn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was suspicious of this stuff for a long time, but I finally tried it and it's pretty great. It's like couscous with a nuttier flavor. We have it most often as a cold "salad" with lemon juice, olive oil, cucumber, chopped pistachios, and crumbled feta. Pretty baller.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I have read more than once that it's important to prepare Quinoa properly or it will be less than appealing.

I like it in a cold salad, and I like it as a more nutritious substitute for rice for some things. I am not going to go crazy over it, for sure...but I do like to have it occasionally.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe for Black bean and tomato quinoa. I cut back on butter and oil, but it has lots of flavor with the lime, cilantro and other goodies... good luck!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-bean-and-tomato-quinoa-238939
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love it with garlic, onions, basil and cheese on pita chips or crackers.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    southwestern quinoa (can be eaten cold or hot) - cooked quinoa, corn, black beans, red onion, avocado, dressing made with a little oil, lots of lime juice, salt, pepper and hot sauce YUM