avocados

Options
So avocados are pretty high in calories and fat, right? I love them, but now that I'm on my serious weight loss journey, I try to eat only 1/4 or 1/2 of one at a time. Saving the rest never seems to work, though. It gets grey and yucky and I never want to eat it. Anybody have any tips on saving avocado?

Replies

• LynZ0310
    LynZ0310 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=avocado+saver&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2800144281&ref=pd_sl_66ed02gtfp_e

:happy:

Love avocados...but seriously...unless you totally OD on them, they won't make you fat.
  • fukuyama
    fukuyama Posts: 43
    Options
    Put lemon juice on it ! It preserves the fruit...
  • c0bra99
    c0bra99 Posts: 11
    Options
    Make sure you store it airtight, like wrap saran wrap around it tightly. Also, could try a splash of lemon or lime juice on it.

Avacados do have a decent amount of 'good fat' in them (poly/mono)
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i love avocados too...i usually share w/a coworker cuz i dont always eat the other half by the next day
    but to keep it from going bad keep the core in it and put lemon juice on it sealed in a covered tupperware
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and have reduced to 1/4 or 1/2 as well. I bought the very small glad bowls with lids recently. I stuffed the leftover avocado in the small bowl and squirted lemon juice. Because it was air tight and the lemon juice...... two days later and it was still green and fresh.

glad I could share this sweet discovery with you!

Enjoy :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

^^ This, and also, leave the seed in the half that you store in the fridge, and it will keep longer. I use the same avocado for my sandwich for 4 days with no problem! I use a quarter of it every day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Leaving the pit in helps them stay fresher for longer.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Squirt with lemon juice and wrap in plastic wrap making sure that it makes contact with as much surface as possible. They should last this way nicely until at least the next day. Even if the surface begins to discolor, you can cut off a thin layer and find perfectly delicious avocado underneath.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh I gotta have some avocados too. I feel so lucky right now - the local supermarket has them 10/$10, and they are the small ones, so one avocado is about 1/2 cup, and I *indulge* for lunch or dinner. It's like nature's ice cream. And I figure as long as I'm staying under my calorie goals, I'm OK.

Plus, having that rich yummy goodness keeps me full for a long time.

I have 5 of them left. I count off the days until they're gone. :cry:

I don't know how to preserve them. Even lemon juice/airtight never really works for me. I figure that if you buy small ones you can plan them into your meal, and if you buy big ones you have to really do a lot of cardio that day to burn off the calories.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options

this is totally right, not to mention if you keep the side your saving with the pit inside it also preserves it, not sure if the natural oil in the pit that makes this work or what but it DOES work, i do it all the time :)
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Avocados are an amazing source of healthy fats but YES you can OD on them!Too much of a good thing can be bad.LOL
    You have to be careful with all fat intake because of its calorie content.You need to consume more Monounsaturated fats than polyunsaturated fats because they are healthy for your heart.

All fats have 9 calories per gram :)
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can also slice them up, or dice, whatever you prefer, and put them in WATER with some lemon juice. Enough water to cover.
    Used to do this in the restaurant I worked in, and would keep like that for several days :happy:
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    LOVE avocado, but usually stick to 1 oz servings at a time.
  • numi79
    numi79 Posts: 13
    Options
    I leave the seed in and put press and seal really tight around the whole piece, I can cut off of it and keep it in the fridge for a several days without it getting yucky. Avocados are delicous! :)
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    Do you find that the lemon juice makes them taste lemon-y next time you eat them? That's what I'm afraid of.