emotional eating

Options
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there are any people out there who are emotional eaters? If so, what do you do so you dont go on calorie overload?

Thanks

Replies

• heypretty90210
    Options
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there are any people out there who are emotional eaters? If so, what do you do so you dont go on calorie overload?

Thanks
  • Mimiche
    Options
    Call a friend or family! If your emotionally eating because something is wrong, or your sad or even very, very happy- call someone and talk it out to them, and they may even talk you out of eating. Or you could do something else, like read a book, take a relaxing bubble bath, excersize.. things to keep you busy and your mind off of food, or help you relax.

You can also just eat fruits and veggis and indulge on low cal things like pudding snacks or 100 calorie snack packs.

But if you have a binge session, just wake up the next day, work it off and start again. We all go there :)
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I still haven't figured out how to stop. I do it almost without even realizing. I'm a stress eater. Apparently, I am under a great deal of stress. But it's a day to day thing. Take each decision and stress one day at a time. I've started using the same mantra I make my six-year-old say when he loses his cool "I am in control!". It works 50% of the time right now. Hoping for a 25% increase today :)
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

Log everything before you even take one bite, plan your meals and snacks and make a rule that you cannot stray, no mindless grazing.

Come to the boards for emotional support, or call a friend or family member as someone else suggested.

Replace a bad habit with a good one. Some examples: You could exercise. You could get a cup of hot tea and read a good book. My personal favorite is to clean house like a madwoman. Organization is bliss to me, so it makes me happy and burns calories.

Hope any of those work!

Lynnie
  • heypretty90210
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    What has helped for me is that I put nothing off limits.

If I really need chocolate, I have it! I try to stay low in calories, but I still have it. If I need salt, then I have my chips, but only one servings and I switched to reduced fat. Everything can be eaten in moderation, but you have to try and balance it out.

I also allow myself cheat days.

There are other things like writing in a journal, exercising, having a buddy to talk to, etc that might help you. A journal helps me the most, but not usually in the moment.

:flowerforyou: