Failed a c25k workout for the first time, what to do now?

Options
Ok, I'm w4d2 and failed. I got through the first set of intervals and managed about a minute and a half into the next 3 min interval but was unable to finish, I was sore, having some trouble breathing and my will broke and i walked most of the remainder of the workout ( i did try to run each time but could only last 20-30 seconds).. This is the first time since starting seriously trying to lose weight and working out that I've truly been challenged mentally, at this point I'm pretty upset and wondering if I'm just going to fail but at the same time know that if I can pull through this, then all is good.

So here's my current workout
M-W-F - c25k
T-T-S - stronglifts 5x5 and hour walk (usually manage 3-4 miles)

Should i do all of my work out on the same day? ie do running in morning and lifting at night and give my body a full day to recover?

I want to wake up tomorrow and try again but don't know if i should, and am afraid of failing 2x in a row and getting even more discouraged. Also if you fail a c25k workout do you just continue working on that day until you get it down? or do you fall back a bit and try harder.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It's not a failure. c25k is conditioning you to run further. If your body says stop, then stop. You were right to listen to your body. That is never failing. Go into your Friday run headstrong with a go getter attitude & go after it. You'll do great, and if you struggle, so be it. It's allowed. You can always repeat a workout.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Honey, you got to week 4, how is that a fail? It is a generic program, and you aren't generic are you? You are a living breathing person, who will have issues on various days. Don't let this make you rethink all your wonderful goals and how far you have come. No panicking, just breathing and do it all again tomorrow.

*hugs* and best of luck whatever you decide to do.

GG
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! It took me forever and a day to get through the c25k program. Usually I'd crater at about the point you are at now. Don't worry about having a bad run. Just push your schedule back and redo it on your next run day. I have asthma and often could not do what I was supposed to do on a scheduled c25k run. Just continue your route walking and running as you are able. At least you get a nice walk out of it, right?

I also weight train. I usually alternate days, doing runs on MWF and weights on T-Th. If I run on a weight day, I always do it BEFORE weight training. Muscles are fatigued after weight training and I think I'm more prone to injury if I run the same day after doing weights. That's my unscientific take on it.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I really would not worry about it. First off, running is NOT for everyone. Even with a C25K program, some people just still can not run. Secondly, you gotta walk before you can run! Instead of concentrating on the running aspect, just work up to walking farther and farther. People have lost weight on walking alone. Do what you gotta do, but don't look at it as a fail, look at it as an off day.
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    I am doing C25K week 4 right now too.... the way I look at it, if I am not able to finish one of the workouts, I will try on my regular workout schedule until I can do it three times in a row...not sure if that is a help at all, just a thought.... DONT GIVE UP!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!! We are on the same week, if you want to add me for a lil extra support, feel free! :) Stay strong and positive! :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    No failure, just an opportunity to try again. Don't give up just yet, it was week 5 when I had my "I really can do this!" moment.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Yeh, it is meant to start you slowly and let you work up to the run. It's about conditioning your legs, tendons, ligaments, muscles, lungs, heart - - slowly - - - at your pace.

I think on the site it even says to stay with each phase till you complete it. Some people take longer, some shorter.

Thankfully, you don't get kicked off C25K if you repeat a day, a week, start over, whatev. It's your health and your workout.

Skip tomorrow, like suggested by the program, and start again Friday.
  • beal84
    beal84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it man. Even the best have off days. Sometimes I'll run 5 miles one day and then two days later I can barely get through 2 miles at the same speed (sometimes for mental reasons, and sometimes physical). Just because you have an off day isn't a reason to beat yourself up. If it's not an off day, and you keep failing at the same workout, then scale back the intensity a little until you get back up there. As long as you constantly try and keep moving forward then it will be fine.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Take some pride in the truth that you have worked hard to get to week 4 and that when you couldn't run any more today you didn't just give up, you walked. If you're breathless to the point that it's keeping you from running, try slowing down a bit, still running, but not as fast.

If you can give yourself a break tomorrow, than wait until Friday to get back to it. But if you're beating yourself up still, and you're not too sore to try, go for it, but at a slow pace. Sometimes when I feel like I failed at something I really do need to get the next one under my belt before it becomes a huge thing in my head. You'll have to balance that thought with idea that you might mess up your schedule for M-W-F is you run tomorrow.

Good luck.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not being able to finish a workout is nothing to worry about. I'm a smoker so half the time I have to take a break because I get light headed. As long as you push through it and put as much effort into your workout as you can, you'll be accomplishing something.

As for running in the morning then lifting at night, try it! You'll never know what works best for you until you try something. :smile:
  • LisaLisaBoBisa
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I got to week 4 and could barely complete jogging 5 minutes at once. I got discouraged and haven't done it again. :-( Don't be like me, just keep working at it. Your body will progress when it's ready. Good luck!!
  • nmcneill16
    nmcneill16 Posts: 12
    Options
    when i have work outs like that its usually because i don't have enough fuel in my system... take a look at what your eating before and after your workouts. i find that having a larabar before my workout keeps me moving and pumped to keep going:) but do some research, active.com has many great sources for nutrition and excersizes. but don't give up! it's impossible to have a fantastic training day everyday:) best of luck to you!
  • joshholl
    joshholl Posts: 17
    Options
    wow, thanks everyone for the encouragement. i <3 you all :)

I think, after reading everyones reply I'm just going to let this roll off my shoulder. I'm going to just do my strength training tomorrow, skipping the walking, and try again Friday. Like Kathryn72, i have asthma and as much as i hate to blame tonight on that, i think i will. I used to use asthma as an excuse of why i couldn't do anything and really don't want to get back into that habit.

But looking at the situation, today i ran at 7pm instead of my normal 6am, today tied the record for heat, and i was having breathing problems today. I feel like thats tons of excuses but might have just been what was needed to stack the odds against me today.

Really when i look back, i remember struggling to complete the first 60 second run when i was at 349 lbs 4 weeks ago, tonight i struggled on the second 3 minute run after completing a 5 minute run at 331lbs so I've def made progress and cant give up on one bad night.

Cant wait for friday, Thanks again for everyones support here
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used to think I'd never learn to run because of my asthma. It is true that it took me quite a long time to finally manage to run 5K. Some runs it just flares up. No matter how much you want to run, it isn't going to happen if your body can't get enough oxygen sucked in. But don't be afraid to see if you can push through it. Sometimes I feel like it's starting to flare during a run but then I get in a groove and everything is OK. Like another poster said, some runs are really, really good and some are really, really bad.

Also, I always find an evening run to be torture compared to a morning run. I avoid them like the plague.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    For me, building up my endurance was hard. I looked back on my track years and remembered a friend saying that she ran at a slower pace but was able to run continuously that way. I basically try to follow what she'd suggested or I'd be on the floor unable to breath after a run. :smile:
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    It's not a failure at all. Just repeat the day until you can complete it. I did it a few times and was able get through all 9 weeks. I went from not being able to run to the end if my block in January to finishing my first 5k ever. I have a second one in two weeks! You can do it!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    right on bro! i'm on the same workout schedule :):)

on my 5x5 days i usually do a 30-60 minute bike ride too and i find that as i progress with the c25k i need to cut back on the biking a little bit or i die.

basically, look at it the same way you do with stalling a lift. repeat the workout. then try to up to the next run. if that doesn't work, drop it back down a notch and start from there.

you got this :)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break! You had a tough workout, and you persevered. Take a rest day to let your body and mind recover, and then hit it again with fresh legs and a fresh mind.

You know, I just wrote a blog post on my personal blog about this very thing. It's about the first time my body failed me in sports.

http://gamblepartyoffour.blogspot.com/

"Fall down seven times, get up eight." - Japanese proverb
  • kepa808
    kepa808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you ask me you have had great progress with your weight loss and running program. I say just try it again and slow down your pace.