Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant and Weight

Options
Has anyone else been told that losing weight may aid them in conceiving? IF so, what are your weight loss goals? What foods are you eating? I am currently 300+ but I am 5'9. I am 31 years old and I am currently starting my weight loss journey, my doctor and I are hoping this will help with my ability to conceive and carry. Wish me luck! Good Luck to you and share.

Replies

• af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'9" and was at 220+ when I conceived (though we had other medical issues contributing to infertility). The doctors suggested I try to lose weight while trying to conceive and even after conception I was told my body could easily handle losing 20-30 lbs safely.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    5'10" here. My highest weight was 282+. As of today, I am down to 225. Along the way, I have definitely noticed improvements in the length and predictability of my monthly cycles. My doctor has recommended that I get down to 200-210, which is my major goal at this point. However, if I'm not ready to have kids at that pount, I may try to drop down to 180, which I believe would be an ideal weight for myself.

It's not really about what foods you eat, but rather about portions and getting enough exercise. A good rule of thumb is to eat around your BMR when losing; at least it's my sweet spot. If I eat much less, I struggle to lose weight and feel hungry.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Being at a healthy weight certainly makes it easier to concieve because being overweight messes with your hormones. I was pregnant at 200lbs. Seems that anything above 200lbs I stop getting monthly cycles. At my heaviest (262), they found weight-caused cysts all over both of my ovaries (at 211-212, they are gone now). It's always good to take a multivitamin with micronutrients like folic acid and iodine for general wellness anyways but also to help give those important nutrients to any fetus you may concieve.

We are going to be trying for another baby soon, I am almost at my goal though I may want to be at 180lbs for conception so it's easier to handle losing again.
  • laurenknaggs
    laurenknaggs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm also overweight and TTC, I've got pcos, tried clomid and no waiting for ovarian drilling. Weight is definitely contributing to my infertility
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Being obese makes getting pregnant harder, but most important increases the risk of complications during pregnancy and also increases the risk for health problems with th ebaby. So yes, ideally you should put trying to conceive on hold until you can be within healthy weight range.
    Check here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/pregnancy-and-obesity/art-20044409
  • elisabeth2185
    elisabeth2185 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 30 years old, 5'5 and 282 pounds with 2 miscarriages and I have been over weight since i was a kid and now have working on weight loss for a few years
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've not had issues conceiving (we haven't started trying yet) but I know that next year we will be in a position to start trying, which is why I'm working on losing weight. I was at 310, and realised that if I didn't get to a lower weight, there was higher potential for so many more issues. I really want a baby, and I also want to be healthy, and so doing this is really important for me. Good luck with everything to all of you. :)
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No advice here, but just wanted to wish you lots of luck!!!