Pilates, Yoga, and Running

Options
I am a beginner who is ready to start a major change. I have not been active consistently in about 2 years but have always loved pilates, I have also always wanted to run, and I like the idea of yoga. I think alternating them throughout the week would be very beneficial, but I don't know how many rest days would be good, as well as how many days of each I should do?

Any info or ideas are welcome!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't run more often than every other day to let your body, especially your joints, rest and recover. You shouldn't do anything high-impact on the days between running as a result. I haven't done Pilates but I believe it's low-impact and I know yoga is, so they would be perfect to do on the days between or even the days you run, if you have that kind of time. You should build one day of rest into your week.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My yoga-chi instructor calls Pilates "contortion" and Yoga "contortion with meditation". My physiotherapist says yoga is great for stretching out the ligaments. Safer running! You have a great combo there then. Run three times a week, alternating with pilates or yoga. Have one full rest day a week.
  • CrochetGator
    CrochetGator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • kendingles
    Options
    Hi! Am trying to do this 7minute workout, a set of 13 rigorous calisthenics, and yoga together everyday... i just wanna get some advice if like running, pilates and yoga i should also alternate... am not really that good about work outs...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For a newbie runner, then alternate days is about as much as you want to do. I was about a year into running before I went to consecutive days, and initially that was a bit of a beating for me.

Yoga and Pilates will help the running, by improving flexibility and some strength in the lower body. As they're both low impact and low intensity you wouldn't really need any rest days at all.

If you were to do something higher intensity, like cycling or fast paced swimming, then I'd suggest one active rest day per week at least, where something like yoga or pilates would be a good complementary activity.
  • frosty_19335
    frosty_19335 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Crotchetgator. My routine is a lot like what your aiming at and so far so good. I like to go jogging on the soft wooded trails on my every other day (well not when its covered in snow!). When I started I did more walking than jogging! I do stationary bike on most off days and then I do a Yoga once a week. i would like to do more yoga but I want to burn more calories so I can enjoy my beer ;) good luck. Friend me if you like. I have decided to try and build up my network of support.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depending on your running goals the Couch to 5K maybe a good plan for you. If you think it is too much to quickly, you could always start walking a mile or two for the first couple of weeks and then stay on a C25K week for more than one week before moving on. Remember, whether you finish a mile in 8 minutes or 18 minutes you still completed a mile!
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I run usually 4 times a week and do Yoga and stretching almost everyday in some shape or form. Stretching techniques can be performed daily, in fact I would strongly recommend it. The difference in feeling lithe, fluid and free from aches and pains is a great motivator when performing any other sport.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love my Pilates. I have arthritis and it has helped tremendously. I do pilates 3 days a week and zumba step 2 days a week and take 2 days off. Hope this helps. Blessings.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I do pilates every day and I love it! My tummy looks so nice and toned now :)