"Diabetic, Low Fat,Low Salt Diet Help"

Options
Hello, I'm Just getting started with my new way of eating. I don't say dieting, because it's a life change. I need help as to what is bedt for me to eat. I'm on a very limited budget, so, it's very hard to eat healthy. I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks but now i feel like I'm falling off the wagon. I just don't know what to eat anymore. I'm ok with breakfast, but lunch and dinner are tough.

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Here is a good place to start. I just Googled "Diabetic meal plans" and this was one of the first to come up

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/7_day_diabetes_meal_plan
  • MzBarb15
    Options
    I have been googling till my eyes pop out. Lol. The problem is a lot of recipes have too much sodium. Thank you for sharing that link. I will check it out
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you cook you'll have control over sodium, while processed/pre-packaged foods tend to be high.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    MzBarb15 wrote: »
    I have been googling till my eyes pop out. Lol. The problem is a lot of recipes have too much sodium. Thank you for sharing that link. I will check it out

You may have to spend more time shopping to get reduced sodium ingredients like stock, etc. I also have found recipes for things like taco seasoning mix, stir-fry sauce, etc. that you make yourself and so you can control the sodium.

Here is my taco seasoning (14 mg sodium for the entire recipe compared to the purchased stuff that had almost 3,000 mg for the packet):

1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Chili powder
    2.00 tsp(s), Spices - Onion powder
    1.00 tsp(s), Ground Cumin
    1.00 tsp(s), Spices - Garlic powder
    1.00 tsp(s), Spices - Paprika
    1.00 tsp(s), Oregano

Flour, cornstarch, or arrowroot as needed to thicken the juices.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Less processed - less sodium. i generally don't use salt much in cooking, as I use other seasonings (big on garlic).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    "Diabetic" and "low fat" together means your meals are going to need to be mostly protein. Food is made up of protein, fat and carbohydrates. If you are limiting fat and limiting carbs that leaves protein as your main macronutrient. Keep that in mind as you're planning your meals.

Are you eating low fat for medical reasons or because you believe that's needed to lose weight? New medical thinking (finally!) is that limiting dietary fat doesn't help with weight loss. In other words, eating fats doesn't make you fat. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Easy enough to modify recipes to reduce sodium. Just don't add it. Replace with spices, onion, and garlic. I show this plate to everyone learning to eat like a diabetic. You may eat very much like you have before, only portion things differently, limit the sauces.

PlateMethod.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This may be a random question, but I don't typically see low fat and low sodium diets prescribed to diabetics (they're usually told to count carbs and stay within limit per meal and per day). Have you spoken to a registered dietitian about an appropriate diet for your medical condition(s)?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Shop for inexpensive vegetables in the freezer aisle, get sturdy vegetables like carrots and cabbage, and the rest buy small amounts frequently on sale and in season.

Processed foods are more expensive and have more salt. The more you cook for yourself, the more money you will save and the food is better for you at the same time.

Stews are inexpensive and if you make yourself, you can eliminate the salt.

Chicken thighs are cheaper than chicken breasts, and you can cook in bulk to make your own "fast food".
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I've reduced my type 2 diabetes and lost close to 200 lbs while focusing more on calories than on any of the other macros. My latest a1c was only 5! In fact I am OVER on sodium almost every day. My food diary is public and you're more than welcome to look in there for food ideas. :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating low fat and low sodium? Neither is an issue for diabetics.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Why low fat?
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you're running into issues with meal plans having too much salt, it's just a matter of making those recipes at home without the salt added. Going to have to cook more if you need that serious of a low-sodium intake.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Easy enough to modify recipes to reduce sodium. Just don't add it. Replace with spices, onion, and garlic. I show this plate to everyone learning to eat like a diabetic. You may eat very much like you have before, only portion things differently, limit the sauces.

PlateMethod.jpg

Making your plate look similar to the one above is DEFINITELY key. A few examples of my own plates:
    xn1oebtgp4ra.jpg
    wuuyjmybddbo.jpg
    hycbqcwyyf2l.jpeg
    jh952dpkgxrp.jpg

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    This may be a random question, but I don't typically see low fat and low sodium diets prescribed to diabetics (they're usually told to count carbs and stay within limit per meal and per day). Have you spoken to a registered dietitian about an appropriate diet for your medical condition(s)?

Low sodium is sometimes prescribed for diabetics if there is high blood pressure along with the high blood sugar. One does not necessarily go with the other, but they are frequently co-morbid conditions.

• MzBarb15
    Options
    For all of you asking why Low fat and Low sodium. I have Cad, also know as coronary artery disease. Also have high blood pressure. Also 100lbs overweight. Also am diabetic, therefore, i need diabetic , low fat and low sodium. I have no health insurance, so, no, i haven't talked with a dietician.
  • Morningmania
    Morningmania Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am also on a low sodium low fat diet because of blood pressure issues. I cook all my foods from scratch. Eat a lot of fresh vegetables.
    I have searched low sodium light recipes online and found many great recipes. Most regular light recipes can be adjusted to make them low sodium.
    Canned tomatoes, tomato sauces and tomato paste are very high in sodium. Only purchase no salt added of those.
    I completely avoid canned soups. I make and freeze my own.
    Most shelf dressings, ketchup, and sauces are very high in sodium. Purchase no salt added versions or make from scratch.
    Mrs. Dash offers some great seasonings and seasoning packets (try Target) that are no salt added.
    Mr. Spice offers some great sauces online with no salt added.
    Broth/bouillon are very high in salt, even the low sodium versions. I buy Herb Ox chicken or Beef no sodium bouillon packets, and add to water when I need broth/stock for a soup or recipe.
    Cheese has a lot of sodium, use sparingly. (no something I could cut completely)
    I try to stay away from boxed meals. Watch out for beans and vegetables that are canned unless they state "no salt added". Often frozen meats have added salt for preservation.
    Bread has a lot of sodium also. Ezekial makes a great low sodium version and that is typically found in the freezer aisle.

I remove all added salt in all the recipes I make.

It has been easy for me to eat less calories and fat but adding in low sodium was the toughest part.
    You can look at any of my recipes to see how I have made changes. If you have questions I would be happy to answer them.
    A guideline that I try to follow is that each mg of sodium in something should be equal or less than each calorie. 100 calories should have equal to or less than 100 mg of sodium.
    I wish you luck in what you are trying to achieve.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    For all of you asking why Low fat and Low sodium. I have Cad, also know as coronary artery disease. Also have high blood pressure. Also 100lbs overweight. Also am diabetic, therefore, i need diabetic , low fat and low sodium. I have no health insurance, so, no, i haven't talked with a dietician.

Well diabetics are generally lower carb, and if you add in low fat and low sodium, you'll mainly be eating protein. But, dietary fat does not necessarily increase plaque in your arteries; that said, I'm not going to tell you to eat against doctor's orders (I'm assuming your doctor instructed you to follow these diets).

Definitely focus on whole foods that you prepare yourself. Fresh or frozen veggies (avoid cans due to the higher sodium), dried beans, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Just add less salt than recommended. Mrs. Dash or similar salt-free seasoning blends are great for cooking without adding salt. Fresh herbs are also great for adding flavor without salt.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Good news, you can eat more than poached fish. There are good fats and bad fats. Have more of the mono- poly- and Omega3 fats. Fats will help you feel full and make the whole dieting thing easier.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fat/art-20045550

Ninety pounds ago I had high blood pressure and diabetes too.