Do's and Don't's of the Fast Metabolism Diets

Options
hey everyone! I have been researching the fast metabolism diet. Does anyone had advise on it?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    No way of eating is going to change your metabolism. Eat at a deficit.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Had to look it up really quick, hadn't heard of it before
    No wheat, corn, dairy, soy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dried fruit or fruit juices, artificial sweeteners, fat-free “diet” foods.
    Diet confusion, cycling diet with a change in strategy every few days.
    Phase 1 – high-glycemic, moderate-protein, low-fat – days 1 and 2.
    Phase 2 – high-protein, high-vegetable, low-carbohydrate, low-fat – days 3 and 4.
    Phase 3 – high healthy-fat, moderate-carbohydrate, moderate-protein, low-glycemic fruit – days 5, 6, and 7.
    The more weight you aim to lose, the bigger the portion sizes.

This diet is absurd, I'd ditch it as fast as possible. Waaaay too many restrictions, adheres to the glycemic index which is only applicable to people who have insulin problems. Just an overall terrible diet plan...
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! I have been researching the fast metabolism diet. Does anyone had advise on it?

Yeah, don't do it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You should look into flexible dieting. It means eating what you want, within your caloric and macro-nutrient goals to maintain a deficit and lose fat.
  • sajerd
    sajerd Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have her book and did her diet for one month, about a year ago. Very complicated and restrictive. I lost four pounds and it came back when I was done. No discernible "change" in my metabolism. I'm not militant about the strategies espoused by MFP but I am willing to say that if you are looking for a long term lifestyle and weight loss, a calorie deficit and daily tracking is preferable to the metabolism diet. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The more weight you aim to lose, the bigger the portion sizes.

God how I wish that were true....
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I would avoid any method of eating that starts with a list of things you can't eat, unless they are restricted for medical reasons.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You should look into flexible dieting. It means eating what you want, within your caloric and macro-nutrient goals to maintain a deficit and lose fat.

Good advice

MFP is a great calorie tracking tool

• DeAnna_DMBFan
    DeAnna_DMBFan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You'd really need to read the book, not just the lists. It isn't really just a list of don'ts. Part of why I tried it was because, while I'm a fairly picky eater, I saw that I could actually enjoy myself on the diet. I'm only on Day 5, but that means I have experienced all 3 Phases. I DO still track my calories in MFP when making my meal selections.

So far, I have lost 2 lbs in 5 days. I had hit a pretty hard "stall" doing my normal MFP routine (calorie deficit and workouts).

The list of "No's" looks a bit extreme when taken out of context as a simple list. But when you look at the book, you'll see a truly delicious and WIDE variety of foods. She even provides for what to do if you do some cheats like drinking alcohol or caffeine.

So, before you think I don't know how to weigh and measure my foods, do know I used MFP to lost about 4-5 lbs per month for 3 months when I had my stall. I did the following on this diet and still am down 2 lbs.

Day 1: 77 calorie deficit (vs. my MFP calorie goal)
    Day 2: 325 calories over
    Woke up Day 3: down 1 lb.

Day 3: 124 calorie deficit
    Day 4: 187 calorie deficit
    Woke up Day 5: down 1 lb.

And through it all, I only had 1 cardio workout. I normally was trying to do 4-5 cardio sessions and NEVER hit 2 lbs. in a week.

I'm not necessarily advocating this diet, but thought a little more information beyond the do's and don'ts would be more helpful if you're trying to make a decision. Again, I did this to get over my stall. Right now, I am cautiously optimistic that it may be working. I won't know for sure what I've lost until I see inches budge and 2 lbs. isn't enough to move the tape measure.
  • not2old2move
    not2old2move Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The Fast Metabolism Diet is not really about dieting so much as repairing your system (28 days) so that your body will start letting go of the fat. And you sure will not be hungry! Yes there are some restrictions but the plan is only for 28 days. And at the end, hopefully you will have taught your body that you are not going to starve it and it can let go of the fat and you will have a new outlook on how to eat to keep losing weight and be healthy. I have lost 3 pounds in 5 days. I m sure some of the loss is from water. I have read way too many articles on calorie restriction not working for long term weight loss and have seen the results that can happen with eating sensibly and eating enough so the body does not go into starvation mode. You would have to read the book to understand the science behind this kind of eating pattern. And Haylie Pomroy is not the only one who advocates this eating style. So that is my 2 cents worth.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't understand the "bigger portion" part of the plan, but the rest of it...if you want to eat that way, go for it! Depending on food choices, it does look like it would meet all micro and macro requirements, so it's hard to see the harm.

Just don't expect magic - in the end, you still have to consume less calories than you burn to lose weight!

:drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Doing something simple and that you will stick to is what matters.

You really can't cheat the essential rule that you must eat less than you burn, and what you burn is only going to change in a meaningful way if you move more.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The Fast Metabolism Diet is not really about dieting so much as repairing your system (28 days) so that your body will start letting go of the fat. And you sure will not be hungry! Yes there are some restrictions but the plan is only for 28 days. And at the end, hopefully you will have taught your body that you are not going to starve it and it can let go of the fat and you will have a new outlook on how to eat to keep losing weight and be healthy. I have lost 3 pounds in 5 days. I m sure some of the loss is from water. I have read way too many articles on calorie restriction not working for long term weight loss and have seen the results that can happen with eating sensibly and eating enough so the body does not go into starvation mode. You would have to read the book to understand the science behind this kind of eating pattern. And Haylie Pomroy is not the only one who advocates this eating style. So that is my 2 cents worth.

Hi there, I'm a bit lost here, with a bit of an enquiring mind, could you explain to me in greater detail and maybe using some grounded scientific/biological reasoning, the terms...

"..repairing your system"
    "..letting go of the fat"
    "..taught your body that you are not going to starve it and it can let go of the fat"

Can you show me the articles (I'm sure by articles you mean papers published in well respected journals, and things printed in textbooks) you have read that say...

"..calorie restriction not working for long term weight loss and have seen the results that can happen with eating sensibly and eating enough so the body does not go into starvation mode"

You know, since the base function of the body cannibalizing it's own fat stores, resulting in a loss of body fat, is to feed it less calories than it needs, you know, a calorie restriction.

Can you explain to me...

"..eating sensibly" and how it relates to weight loss, you know, knowing as we all do that the body uses it's stores of body fat as energy, when it's ran out of on the go energy that you feed it, you know, like when you create a calorie deficit, through restricting the amount of calories that are taken on board.

"..does not go into starvation mode", what is this starvation mode you speak of?

Could you explain how, anorexics, people in famine ridden Africa and concentration camps become emaciated when they are unable to follow...

"..calorie restriction not working for long term weight loss"
    "..eating enough so the body does not go into starvation mode"

Thanks.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't and....don't.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Repairing your system from what?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Repairing your system from what?

I just got a phone call like this!

"Hello, I am from Technical support from Windows Computer! We have determined that when you open your email and see a message, there is a hacker compromising your system! Please go to your computer now and we will repair your system with you!"
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have body hackers? Is that the reason why I got chubby?
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is it me or do the defenders of this diet (and to be honest, most diets have these people) sound like they are in a cult and reciting bullet points?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

Yeah, don't do it.

B)

Your metabolism is determined by a number of things, including genetics, body composition, exercise, and total calorie intake. Notice a fad diet is not one of those factors.