84lbs lost but scared to lose anymore :(

Options
L_N_S
L_N_S Posts: 11 Member
edited February 2015 in Success Stories
Hi there I've been reading a lot of other people's success stories and decided to share my own journey.

I am 25 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I have also been dealing with PCOS and HS since I was 14, so I wasn't just overweight. I spent every year telling myself that this was the year I would finally lose the weight, but I never did. Instead I continued to gain more and more weight until one day I stepped on the scale and saw 306lbs! I was completely disgusted with myself and had hard time even looking in the mirror. That day I decided to change my life.

I found MFP and started logging everything I ate. It didn't take very long before I got my diet under control and started exercising. I began by walking 2 miles 4 days a week at a local park with my sister. After a couple of months I joined a gym and started doing a little strength training as well. The weight started coming off, which was exciting so I started to work even harder.

Fast foward to 7 months later and I have lost 84 lbs, currently weighing 222 lbs and I'm 5'9. I see myself in clothes and I am proud of how far I have come. It's when I'm not in clothes that I start to freak out about what my body is going to end up looking like. The lighting in the second pictures is not very good so it's hard to see but I have a gazillion stretch marks on my stomach and legs. I'm starting to see some loose skin (or the rippling effect of stretch marks) on my stomach and thighs. I'm scared that I'm going to end up looking like a saggy mess if I lose the last 42lbs to my goal weight.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any advice on how to overcome it?

I haven't been logging my food in a while because I've decided to halt my weightloss and start focusing only on strength training to build muscle. I've also been gluten free for a few months now so staying at my recommended calories has been very easy.

In the end I guess I'm just scared! We all start this journey to either get healthy or because we want to look better. For me it was both, and now I'm not sure how to get past the looking better part.

Feel free to email me! Whether it be advice for me or anyone else looking for support I would be happy to help!

Thanks!
LNS

2fw3sikn33zu.jpg
kh8oyhgv2d6m.jpg

Replies

• littlebrownbat3
    littlebrownbat3 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There have been a bunch of posts, from what I gather the skin does begin to retract over time, although many elect for surgery to remove it. Continue your weightloss, and be patient with your body
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    As young as you are you should have a better chance of the skin retracting, strength training will help tremndously. COntinue to drink lots of water, and be patient. Then once you hit goal, have a consult with a plastic surgeon and see what they say...You have done a fantastic job! Keep up the good work!
  • mangotango
    mangotango Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You look so much better now and have greatly improved your health. Your will shrink some too

You might find out from a pharmacist if the creams for scars could help with stretch marks. I don't know but I would certainly research it.

Congratulations on your wonderful achievement. My opinion would be keep on keeping on!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as you. Down 82lbs and 50lbs to go. Stretch marks I've had all my life, the worst are on my stomach. Those don't bother me as much as the sagging skin I'm starting to see. Plastic surgery will never be an option for me so learning to live with it and just being comfortable in my clothes will have to do.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing and I don't see stretch marks at all. You've done something really incredible for yourself!

You could start to incorporate some weight lifting into your routine - that way you'll retain muscle mass AND be strong :)
  • loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing!!! I don't see ne stretch marks or sagging skin:) it looks like toning is key, lift weights, planking will help; )
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think, your skin is retracting very nicely in that short time! It takes up to two years for skin to 'catch' up. Strength training is certainly good for you and the muscle will fill up the skin a bit. It's possible, that you'll get 'stuck' with some extra skin, but you will still be healthier and fitter. If it doesn't retract completely there is still the possiblity of surgery.

I was also overweight all of my life (now 45). My highest weight was 213, now 126. On a 5'1'' frame...My skin (abs and belly apron) looks much worse than yours. I opted to get my bust fixed last October and will have the skin on my abs/apron removed in June. I carried most of my weight in front and gained quickly during puberty. That caused massive ripping and my skin will not bounce back in these areas.
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You have lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time so your skin has not had a chance to keep up. I started at 286 and have made it to 181. While I do have some loose skin, its not too bad. I am over 50 and did this over a period of two years. I have been a regular at the gym for the last 14 months mixing cardio and strength training.

You have done an awesome job. Your body will continue to follow your lead so be patient and stay focused on your goal. Good Luck.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You really don't have any sagging skin, I know because I do have it, but I can also tell you I have stretch marks, I had a 11lb 1oz baby and was huge, but what I thought I'd be left with stopped me really trying to lose weight for 12 years!

At 40 I decided it was time to go for it, you know what I'm so glad I did, I don't have a smooth flat stomach and I have a small over hang, but that is shrinking, but I do have some damn sexy sides even with a few faded stretch marks. I love my shape, I've a tiny waist I never knew I had, check my profile pic out I took it today, not bad for 42 if I do say so myself.

Don't let fear stop you going further and going for what you really want, the positives outways the negatives, if your happy stop now but you've done so well and you know what to do if you want to carry on.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Outstanding accomplishment. I wouldn't say to stop you weight loss, but to slow it down. That's an incredible amount of weight to lose so quickly. Your still young and it's highly likely your skin will retract.

Drink tons of water, keep lifting, and enjoy the hell out of your hard work and be proud of what you've accomplished.
  • L_N_S
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind words and advice! I'm going to continue on my journey and just take one day at a time.
  • L_N_S
    Options
    You really don't have any sagging skin, I know because I do have it, but I can also tell you I have stretch marks, I had a 11lb 1oz baby and was huge, but what I thought I'd be left with stopped me really trying to lose weight for 12 years!

At 40 I decided it was time to go for it, you know what I'm so glad I did, I don't have a smooth flat stomach and I have a small over hang, but that is shrinking, but I do have some damn sexy sides even with a few faded stretch marks. I love my shape, I've a tiny waist I never knew I had, check my profile pic out I took it today, not bad for 42 if I do say so myself.

Don't let fear stop you going further and going for what you really want, the positives outways the negatives, if your happy stop now but you've done so well and you know what to do if you want to carry on.

Tracey you look amazing! You inspire me to keep going and get healthy!
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You look great, believe me. I was 318lb at my highest weight, and I'm 224lb now. I wish I looked that good. I have what some people call a B belly, or double rolls. My belly isn't flat like yours. You can't even see my belly button, it's hidden between two giant rolls when I'm standing. My fat kinda hangs on me, but yours is well-distributed and should tighten up over time as long as you drink lots of water, exfoliate, and moisturize.

You hit the genetic lottery with fat distribution, it looks to me!
  • maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Don't be scared they're just reminders of what you went through. Battle scars lol. But I agree what other people have said about being young and retracting, it's possible. I lost 90lbs in total and no loose skin, I still have stretch mark scars but they've faded.. I just keep them away from the sun bc if they get burned it's extra terrible.
  • L_N_S
    Options
    AyaRowan wrote: »
    You look great, believe me. I was 318lb at my highest weight, and I'm 224lb now. I wish I looked that good. I have what some people call a B belly, or double rolls. My belly isn't flat like yours. You can't even see my belly button, it's hidden between two giant rolls when I'm standing. My fat kinda hangs on me, but yours is well-distributed and should tighten up over time as long as you drink lots of water, exfoliate, and moisturize.

You hit the genetic lottery with fat distribution, it looks to me!

@AyaRowan Thank you! I appreciate the kind words! Best of luck on your journey it sounds like you have done absolutely amazing so far :)
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been meaning to take some pics so I can see the difference as I lose more, so I took a few. Was too ashamed to take full body before pics. My biggest problem is that my overall body silhouette refuses to change! You can barely see anymore womanly curve to my shape than when I was even larger. Basically I'm the same body shape, I just wear a size 18 jeans instead of a size 26 jeans. Badly need to recomposition my body and build muscle/lose fat. Seeing such lack of body shape change has made me lose motivation and stall for the past half a year. Trying to get back into it and work even harder.

Anyway, the point is that your body shape is awesome and is taking the weight loss extremely well! Your hard work has paid off and the results are very visible. Keep up the good work.

Progress%20Pics%2094lb%20lost%20700%20pixels_zpsohggg7bl.jpg
  • L_N_S
    Options
    AyaRowan wrote: »
    Thanks! I've been meaning to take some pics so I can see the difference as I lose more, so I took a few. Was too ashamed to take full body before pics. My biggest problem is that my overall body silhouette refuses to change! You can barely see anymore womanly curve to my shape than when I was even larger. Basically I'm the same body shape, I just wear a size 18 jeans instead of a size 26 jeans. Badly need to recomposition my body and build muscle/lose fat. Seeing such lack of body shape change has made me lose motivation and stall for the past half a year. Trying to get back into it and work even harder.

Anyway, the point is that your body shape is awesome and is taking the weight loss extremely well! Your hard work has paid off and the results are very visible. Keep up the good work.

Progress%20Pics%2094lb%20lost%20700%20pixels_zpsohggg7bl.jpg

Don't give up! You have come waaay too far to not finish. Maybe it would help you to do what I'm doing and just take a few months and focus on strength training to build up some muscle. You are looking great though and all your hard work shows! At the end of day we have to remember that this is our journey and how we choose to finish it is our own.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone! You actually look great for how far you've come and I think that if you continue toning and strength training you will be right as rain. I also emailed you. :)
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't see sagging, I think you're doing wonderfully! Moisturizing all over every day may make you feel a little better self-image-wise. I know it's helped me before.
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, well done, I think that your body is toning up nicely, keep it up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!