2»

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    jmurguia78 wrote: »
    who the heck told you that? WRONG
    Lift Lift lift.
    Trust your instincts because there are many benefits to lifting, it will aid in weight loss, add strength, boost metabolism.....
    some guy from the gym told me that
    some guy at the gym should be smacked upside his head if he opens his mouth again
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you read more about lifting weights (and see the results of some of the women who do it), look up Girls Gone Strong. They have some great advice through their site.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of swimming but no lifting while I was losing. I wanted to be super thin though so to each his own. I lost 100lbs held it off for 2 yrs to let the skin recover and things even out and my appetite adjust to a significantly lower intake. Once the 2yrs were up I started building muscle where I want it. You cannot lose fat in any area by working that area harder but you can build muscle in an area by working it harder so I am carefully crafting the shape I want. This is not most people's approach but it is working well for me.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lift! I started NROL4W just a few weeks ago and my pants that were too tight are now just a little bit loose. Plus I look a ton better even though that scale hasn't been moving that much ( a few pounds gone but it took several weeks to budge).
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    neaneacc wrote:
    Cardio is great exercise, but won't really tone up the muscles.
    Except in the legs & butt.
    I think 25 to 35 minutes a couple of times a week with some weight training will probably give you better results.
    Scientists disagree with you.
    In order to maintain weight, moderate cardio at least 150 minutes a week is recommended.
    To lose weight, someone might have to do twice that, or at a high intensity. (While eating at a reasonable calorie level.)
    Cardio is the most effective way to burn calories (lose fat), but weightlifting is essential to maintain muscle mass & get stronger, leaner, toned, fabulous-looking once the overlying fat is gone less.
    Yes, muscle burns 3x the calories at rest that fat does... but it's a small difference, and losing fat causes your BMR to lower, so even a slight gain in muscle (which is unlikely to happen while losing weight) won't offset that. (2 kcal/lb/day vs. 6 kcal/lb/day)
    You cannot lose fat in any area by working that area harder
    Actually you can, but it's such a tiny effect that the effort isn't worth it. Seriously, some scientist had people exercise one limb, but not the other, then measured the amount of fat around the muscle, and it was very slightly less on the exercised side. Very slightly. Tiny. Not worth it.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You should definitely lift.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    No, you won't build muscle over fat.
    It's usually the other way around, with the fat cushioning & insulating the muscles & organs.

And no, you're not going to bulk up, at least not without spending excessive amounts of time in the gym, and probably taking illegal drugs.
    You will get stronger, more toned / firm, lose inches.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lift!
  • jmurguia78
    jmurguia78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and advice. Very useful
  • Twinkie2530
    Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!!!!5vu6hsurjkvn.jpg
    Proof is in the pictures. I lift weights and watch what I eat more than I do cardio.
  • jmurguia78
    jmurguia78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow the proof is in the Pics, good job ☺
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wish you could put muscle over fat. I would have lots of fat and then have muscle on top and look like the Hulk. Unfortunately the fat covers my my muscle and I look like the Bulk
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I wish you could put muscle over fat. I would have lots of fat and then have muscle on top and look like the Hulk. Unfortunately the fat covers my my muscle and I look like the Bulk
    I wouldnt want to look like the hulk but If I could change fat into muscle then my legs and butt would look superb lol

• erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Weight Lifting: HELL YES!
    Check out the site muscleforlife.com and look at the success stories of women losing weight due to weight lifting. Someone lied to you girl.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!