N o o o o b i e

Options
Well, this is my last shot. I have been doing this weight loss "thing" over and over and over. I have done so many different diets that I think I should qualify as a dietician. I say this is the last shot because my work just switched health insurance carriers and the new one covers bariatric services. I immediately started investigating more about these options and honestly they just don't sit right with me, but if I keep up what I'm doing now I won't be sitting much longer. I'll be laying down taking a dirt nap!

I think that people who think that bariatric methods are the easy way out should look in to what it takes to commit to something like that and it is something that is A LIFETIME CHANGE and there is no real backing out. You make a lifestyle change to exercise, but if you want to take a day off, you can. If you want to take a day off from a gastric bypass or band, think again. There are no days off. That is the MAIN reason why I am doing this. Other reasons: I have seen the surgeries fail and people gain weight back (yes it was their fault for eating too much sugar or drinking too much water to dilute the food more but if there's a cheat to be had I will do it!!), I know a man who had two people in his family die on the table during the surgery (and he still did it anyway, lost a bunch, gained 85% back and is now trying to lose it again doing well too), I know a woman who had bypass done and could not STOP losing weight so they had to do a reversal and the excess skin from losing weight so rapidly became infected and she had to have drains on her arms and legs for months. She has gained all of her weight back and has given up. The majority of her family (like 90%) die by the age of fifty something so before she turned 50 she had the surgery and almost died anyway! Okay, so these are only a few that failed out of millions that succeeded so why am I so nervous? I don't know, but I am.

So…..

Not only are these services now covered but the monthly premiums went down significantly and I am taking the savings and hiring a person trainer for as long as I can see and feel results and believe it's working. (Sorry A.T., I don't mean anything personal by that comment. I know you can and will help, it's just going to be up to me to commit and that's where I usually lose myself.) My PT suggested this site so I can print out/show reports and info for tracking progress. I also have a device like they use on Biggest Loser (I believe they call them body bugs) and I use that to better track my calories burned during workouts and my sleep patterns since I am on a CPAP (for now!). The device works, but it is expensive and if I could do it again I probably would not buy it again. You also have to pay for a subscription to get the data.

I have done the diet and exercise regiment before and lost 70lbs. I decided at that point to go at it on my own and give up the nutritionist. Big mistake. I gained it all back. It took a while, but I did it! The good thing is that I didn't gain any extra like I usually do.

Today was my first session with my PT and I think someone put out a hit on my life because I thought I was going to die! I made it through most of it and almost tossed my cookies. After the 30 minutes with the PT I was instructed to do cardio at a good heart rate for me for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I did 50 minutes. And all that after nearly losing it 30 minutes before that.

I live in Virginia in rural town in the outer DC metro area. If you want to send friend requests by all means do so. We all need support.

So that's all about me.

Replies

• michcalgirl
    Options
    Great story....I just started too. It been a tough third day but stay strong....you can do it. =)

Kelly:flowerforyou:
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Welcome Noooobie!
  • paulhood
    paulhood Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to achieving some goals here and really trying to keep it off this time. I love roller coasters, but this is one I WANT TO GET OFF OF BECAUSE IT'S MAKING ME SICK.

After looking over the site for a few days there sure seems to be a lot of nice people and all willing to help. I hope I can do my part too.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome! As long as you stick to the plan MFP sets up for you, you will see results, either with the measuring tape or the scale, but hopefully both!
  • Nini_Soto_
    Nini_Soto_ Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi Noobie!! Loved the humor in your post! Feel free to add me!! I am also new. I started at the end of April! I hope we can help each other!!
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You sound so ready to change. There are so many motivators and supporters here. Good luck on your journey! :)