FitBit - Yay or Nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• tennisfan77
    tennisfan77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit charge and love it. I like it better than the fitbit I used to wear on my hip because the charge doesn't use a battery. The battery lasted about 5 months and was not easy to find in the stores near me. Sitting too long is not good. Knowing I am wearing the fitbit encourages me to stand up and move when I find myself sitting too long. I also noticed that I walk about 2 miles per day just doing my normal activities, and I log that into my exercise log on myfitness pal.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I will also say, it depends what your ultimate fitness goals are.

If you just want to move more and lose weight, a fitbit is wonderful.

If you have thoughts of seriously going into athlete mode, I'd go with something else.

I can already tell that at some point I'll outgrow mine. I will get either a garmin or an apple watch depending on its functionality.

My biggest beef with fitbit is that it isn't waterproof. I mean seriously, what kind of idiot designs a fitness tracker that can't go in the pool when I swim laps?

I know it says they aren't waterproof, but I have been swimming, hot tubbing, showering...etc in mine for a year or more. Still works just fine.

Which model? From what I understand, the flex is more water resistant than the charge hr. which is what I have.

Yeah, the Charge HR is not waterproof.
    I love mine. It is amazing. :smile:
  • weatherlover1
    weatherlover1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit ultra for almost 3 years and just switched to the polar m400. I loved my fitbit and it was weird to stop using it but I love my polar m400 more. Polar just released the m300 which is a more affordable version. It really depends what you want. Fitbit is nice but I like how the polar works as well. But I will say that wearing an activity tracker has been the motivation/cheerleader I needed to lose over 20 lbs.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I used to have a fitbit, now I have the garmin vivo fit. Love it a lot more. does everything a fit bit does and more. It is waterproof, I wear it in the shower every day. THE BATTERY LAST A YEAR. no charging it. I get a nasty red line when I sit too long, have to move for it to go away. It increases my step goal by a little each day, and decreases when I don't reach my goal. syncs with a heart rate monitor (sold separately). syncs with my fitness pal also. I love it that the numbers are always there on my wrist. I don't have to grab my phone. I also bought different colored wrist bands for it $25. And it costs pretty much the same as a fitbit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I had a Flex, I now have a One and hubby has the Charge - we love them!! I had issues with my Flex, the wrist band broke first of all, then it wouldn't charge (seems to be an issue) but customer services fab and they replaced it with the One, which I love as its hidden and out of sight. The Charge is also great but it groups moderate mins in along with very active mins on the app and you have to log into dashboard on the full site to see proper active mins.
    - The Charge HR is the one I'd wait for, to have all the other Fitbit aspects combined with a Heart Rate monitor would be great.

All in all, its a great gadget for getting us up and moving - I went from being a 8000 steps per day kind of gal to now averaging 17000 a day. I know its whats helping me maintain my goal weight range :smile:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I used to have a fitbit, now I have the garmin vivo fit. Love it a lot more. does everything a fit bit does and more. It is waterproof, I wear it in the shower every day. THE BATTERY LAST A YEAR. no charging it. I get a nasty red line when I sit too long, have to move for it to go away. It increases my step goal by a little each day, and decreases when I don't reach my goal. syncs with a heart rate monitor (sold separately). syncs with my fitness pal also. I love it that the numbers are always there on my wrist. I don't have to grab my phone. I also bought different colored wrist bands for it $25. And it costs pretty much the same as a fitbit.

I wanted to get the VivoSmart when I went shopping, but it had *just* come out and wasnt available anywhere. If I do end up getting another tracker, I think that would be the one. I think it looks pretty sharp, plus I like how you can actually see your progress on it, plus the phone notifications. It also has a find phone feature, which I will *need* when kiddo moves out. LoL So if my Flex is still running strong in a year, I'll probably give it to her and then buy a VivoSmart.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got a Vivosmart to replace my Force since the band on the force looks like it will break soon. Today I wore both models side by side and compared the numbers. By noon the Vivosmart was showing 800 more calories burned than the Fitbit. No possible way! I know my Fitbit numbers are more accurate because if I eat the amount Fitbit/MyFitnessPal say to eat to lose 1 lb a week then I really do lose 1 lb a week. I've had a Fitbit for years (prior to Force I had a fitbit ultra) and the numbers and scale have always been right on which tells me the numbers the Fitbit is giving me are close to accurate. So I really doubt the Vivosmart was correct with the 800 extra calories. If I ate that I would gain for certain.

Around 1 pm I went back to the store I bought the Vivosmart from and exchanged it for a Fitbit Charge. The Fitbit might not be as pretty or waterproof but I trust the numbers it gives me.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got a Vivosmart to replace my Force since the band on the force looks like it will break soon. Today I wore both models side by side and compared the numbers. By noon the Vivosmart was showing 800 more calories burned than the Fitbit. No possible way! I know my Fitbit numbers are more accurate because if I eat the amount Fitbit/MyFitnessPal say to eat to lose 1 lb a week then I really do lose 1 lb a week. I've had a Fitbit for years (prior to Force I had a fitbit ultra) and the numbers and scale have always been right on which tells me the numbers the Fitbit is giving me are close to accurate. So I really doubt the Vivosmart was correct with the 800 extra calories. If I ate that I would gain for certain.

Around 1 pm I went back to the store I bought the Vivosmart from and exchanged it for a Fitbit Charge. The Fitbit might not be as pretty or waterproof but I trust the numbers it gives me.

I feel the same way. I have had 2 Garmin products (a forerunner 220 and a Forerunner 15
    and I sold them both. I did not like the accuracy of either one for distance and calories burned,plus garmin connect website leaves alot to be desired. I now have the charge HR, which I trust the numbers on unless you are doing an intense workout. In that case I use my Polar HRM which I trust way more than Garmin.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and it's been awesome. I have several friends with Fitbits and we do challenges every week...my competitive nature has been amazing for my step count ;)
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have a flex and love it.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @eponine1976 and @indianwin2001 Thanks so much for this info. I guess sticking with my flex is the way to go!!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    @eponine1976 and @indianwin2001 Thanks so much for this info. I guess sticking with my flex is the way to go!!

I think that is the way to go---enjoy
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Do it. I love my fitbit charge hr
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I got a charge hr.
    That prompted my parents, siblings, and several friends to get flexes.

Now it is a ten man daily step death match, compete with smack talk.

I love it.

Ditto. I started a Fitbit cult in my office. Tons of fun competing and smack talk!

• I am debating if I should get the Fitbit HR surge smart watch. I do Power lifting, so not sure if it track work outs like that, as in squat, bench and deadlift. I can't run unfortunately.