MFP increased my calorie intake?

Options
jklei169
jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
So after 2 months at 1200 calories MFP increased my intake to 1500. With only 10 pounds to go. Why the change
1501. ?

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why would MFP EVER recommend 1200 calories to a male ???? It must have been an error and the 1500 might be to correct it. But it is STILL too low.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    First, 1200 is too low for a male. Second, you're closer to goal.
  • princessloubella
    princessloubella Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    strange :confused:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't know why they did but it's a good thing-- 1200 is way too low for a man.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Wanting to run a marathon while eating like a malnourished female is a recipe for disaster.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Being closer to your goal could well be part of it. I don't have a goal weight, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but the system might be designed to slowly bring you up towards what it computes will be your calorie requirements for maintenance.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    csuhar wrote: »

Being closer to your goal could well be part of it. I don't have a goal weight, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but the system might be designed to slowly bring you up towards what it computes will be your calorie requirements for maintenance.

1500 is NOT maintenance for a male. It is hardly even enough for a male to live on. It isn't even maintance for most females who are active (unless you are really short and petite)
  • Alphabet929
    Alphabet929 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Has to be a mistake. My calorie limit is almost 2300. And I am just looking to lose ten pounds and get some lean mass back on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Dude...you're a dude...not a 90 year old 4' nothing female. I'm 40 and my cut is a gross of around 2300 calories and I lose a pretty steady 1 Lb per week at that level.

I think this is a good thing and that you should up it more.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

1500 is NOT maintenance for a male. It is hardly even enough for a male to live on. It isn't even maintance for most females who are active (unless you are really short and petite)

I'm really short and petite, and my maintenance BEFORE exercise is higher than 1500
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5 feet 9 inches and have been eating between 1200 and 1400 calories for the last 2 months. My height and weight is accurate in my profile. And I am listed as 42 year old male not a 12 years old girl. Not sure why MFP had my calories so low but I'm glad for the extra food. I have been struggling with my meals. Thanks for the help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This
  • Blisschick1
    Blisschick1 Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »

I'm short and petite and am absolutely starving on 1200. MFP's calorie calculator tells me 1200, when ChooseMyPlate tells me 1600. I was losing weight just fine on 1600 and not near as hungry. I put basically the same info in each calculator, so I have no idea why there's a 400 calorie difference. I'm tossing back on the extra calories before I chew my leg off.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the info correctly on the website at the link you provided, but if I'm understanding that the BMR is the calories your body burns just for normal functions daily, then 1600 is spot on. However, I'm being told just over 2000 would be optimal for me to lose weight. That won't work, because my weight stalls at 1800.