Give up my Goal or push through the pain

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd take March off from running. Maybe use it as a time to cut weight. Then get back to training in April. I ca gut through with inadequate training, but an injury is much more likely to end my race.

This is what I would do...I'd take a month off and then re-evaluate after some healing and rest. Unless you're a professional athlete who is getting paid to do so, pushing through and actual injury is pretty stupid.

Yup. And, pro athletes get to go to Germany for cutting-edge treatment. And even then, a lot of them aren't ever really right again.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Not worth the risk man, let it heal. I'd rather miss a race than not run for a year.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No no and NO! Take some time to heal. You will do more damage if you do not listen let your body heal. Yes, it sucks to have trained for something for so long but you don't want to do anything that will cause further injury and do major damage. You are injured not just having a little soreness.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen what a ruptured Achilles looks like? The tendon climbs up the calf towards the knee. It's very very painful. Listen to all of these fine folks.
    Get it checked. I am sorry you are injured. There will be other races to run.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Never pop pain pills to mask an injury for a performance.
    Truth! Never do that.

I'm doing that in an hour.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Never pop pain pills to mask an injury for a performance.
    Truth! Never do that.

I'm doing that in an hour.

I don't even follow my own advice truth be told. I am not a good example. I hardly ever listen to doctors....I've already ran races with a sling and vicodin in a camelbak just in case.

OP ignore that statement ;)
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank You all for the advice and input. Definitely a wake up call and some of the replies seriously scared the hell outta me. Lol. I scheduled an app with an orthopedic as well as an MRI. I'll take March off and have to wait it out... FYI the Race is The Broad street run in Philadelphia : 10 Miler
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ART! I have achilles tendonitis in both achilles (sucks, I know) and it helped a ton. I took a couple of weeks off with anti-inflammatories as my general practitioner suggested, and then got back to it. It happened again a few weeks later, so I went to see someone that specializes in Active Relief Therapy. I went 4 times and haven't been back since. Definitely seek out alternative methods, and listen to your doctor! I think I went back to working out too soon and there were some mornings I could barely walk. Thankfully it didn't end in surgery. Listen to your body and stretch!
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    jzs20 wrote: »
    Thank You all for the advice and input. Definitely a wake up call and some of the replies seriously scared the hell outta me. Lol. I scheduled an app with an orthopedic as well as an MRI. I'll take March off and have to wait it out... FYI the Race is The Broad street run in Philadelphia : 10 Miler

The drunken/hungover 10 mile downhill run. Def. take care of this. You never know when a drunken fool will fall on it.

Have fun if you make it!!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    jzs20 wrote: »

Ack. THe Broad Street Run... more like the Broad Street Get Out Of My Way Dammit I Cant Run There Are Too Many People Here This Stinks!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    :)