Sneakers

Options
Is it really necessary to shell out hundreds of dollars on a good running shoe? Any reasonably priced recommendations?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It depends. I need a stability shoe. They tend to run on the expensive side. For me, it is necessary to spend what I have to to get the shoe that works for me otherwise I end up with an injury.

That said, I keep an eye out for end of season sales and have gotten my last few pairs at 50% off. I get crappy colours but when my shoe is about $180, half price is worth some ugly colours.

Not everyone needs that type of shoe. Some people do just fine in shoes that cost less.

Personally, I would rather shell out the money for a shoe than try to save some money by buying a different one and end up injured.
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with 3dogsrunning. It is better to get a quality shoe and prevent injury. Also, I've found a better shoe lets me move a little longer as it fits so much better.
    With all that being said, I do completely understand that cost can be prohibitive. Finding a sale, or an off color, can be a big help.
    I had my foot fitted at a running store. The first pair were expensive, but I know that I need good stability as well. So my subsequent purchases can be a cheaper shoe that still fits what I need in a good workout shoe.
    Best of luck!!
  • dafoe88
    dafoe88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Asics are a great quality and I've been able to get them less than 100. Less than 70 sometimes too
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dafoe88 wrote: »
    Asics are a great quality and I've been able to get them less than 100. Less than 70 sometimes too

Most of the well known brands are good quality. The issue is with fit. Each brand is different. Personally, I cannot run in Asics. They aren't a bad shoe, they just don't suit me.

The price will usually depend on the model. The similar Asics model to the Sauconys I wear are comparable in price.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    YES !!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is it really necessary to shell out hundreds of dollars on a good running shoe?

If the shoe that's right for you is hundreds of dollars, then yes. If the shoe that's right for you isn't hundreds of dollars, then no.

The key point is right for you, and that might mean motion control or stability, neutral, cushioned or minimalist/ barefoot.

Even across brands there are enough differences that mean that what's right for me may not be right for you.

• ShanitaMarie85
    ShanitaMarie85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wear brooks and I love them. Once you start wearing good quality running shoes you would never go back to just Clarence Nikes lol. When I buy Brooks I try to keep catch them on sale! Try Amazon I have bought some for $60!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I got fitted at a local running store when I started - saved for a couple of months, swallowed hard and shelled out the money for my first pair from them (because I won't take advantage of a local small business for their expertise but then actually take my business elsewhere). But after that initial fitting, for about a year+ after that, I bought replacement pairs on eBay for about 1/3 the price. When I had lost a significant amount of weight I thought it might be time to get re-fitted so I did the same thing, back to the running store for a fitting and costly pair of shoes, and now I get the (smaller size, different brand) replacements on eBay as needed.
  • lstyper
    lstyper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Shoe quality and fit is key. I have wide feet so i cant really wear most popular brands. Went to this place in va beach Runningect and they fitted me, had me walk, jog, run, and try on diff. Shoes. At the end they not only gave me advise and broke down how i performed with the diff shoes but, they also informed me of future wear and tear on my feet and joints when running with the wrong shoes over a period time. Go whith what feels good and comfortable when u run. I have asics
  • facesbyctmua
    Options
    Wow thanks so much guys for all of the great advice. I will definitely be going to get myself fitted at the nearest running store. Thanks.