Any females who have/are doing stronglift 5x5?

Options
I am hoping to join the local gym soon and really want to do the stronglift 5x5. I used to be so strong but after having my 3 babies I feel so weak (and have a lot of baby weight to lose). Can anyone share their experience with this program? Should I try something else first?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great! I did it for a few months 2 years ago until I was sidelined by an injury so I had to do a bro split while I healed. I'll switch between SL and another program thats based off of SL during my half marathon training.

Theres a group here named 'stronglifts 5x5 for women'
  • mikhsh
    mikhsh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat? I'm new here, where is this group???
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I've done it, off and on. I like it, but get to a point where I don't progress (too close to my max). Then I change it up a bit. I am also very muscular, so not sure I need to be trying to progress much more in weight. I lost a bit after having the flu, and my strength suffered, so I might try to get back to where I was before, but not much farther. I'm not looking to compete in power lifting:)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was completely out of shape at the beginning of the year and am on target for 5x5 progress so far. Started about 3 weeks ago and doing it 2x a week. Yeah, it's a 3x per week program but I was very out of shape and you don't make progress if your muscles haven't had adequate rest. I'll probably add that extra day this week.

Anyway, squatting 70 lbs makes you feel like Wonder Woman. It's exciting to know that I can go heavier! It's a great program to start strength training. Watch the videos and read all of the info. It's only one of the good beginner programs, but I think the easiest to start because it concentrates on certain lifts. It really allows you to work on form... when you don't rush.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started it this week and so far I have been progressing really well. It seems to be strengthening my core although it seems way too soon to see any significant changes. But I can tell you that last week I struggled to get through 3 sets of 8 sit-ups and today I was easily able to do 5 sets of 10 without tiring out. Baby steps!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just did the start of week 6 today. A very simple program to follow. It's crazy how much strength I have gained already. Be warned, it's addicting :wink:
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Joining in this thread as I am wanting to start soon too.
    Can I ask if anyone does this at home?
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and progressing well but had epic 'fail' yesterday on squats bench press and barbell row :-( I know why - TOTM coming plus my head wasn't in 'succeed' mode! Never mind - the beauty of this programme is that you dont progress until you are strong enough to! Roll on Monday!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jontucc wrote: »
    Joining in this thread as I am wanting to start soon too.
    Can I ask if anyone does this at home?

Ive done it at home. i have a barbell and such