Antidepressants and weight loss

anyone taking antidepressants and still lose weight?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Yep.

When I started this weight loss stuff, I started Trazodone - and I lost 65 or so pounds on it. I've lost an additional 5 since adding Lexapro (about two months ago) - though there was a noticeable increase in appetite when I started the second.

You can do it, don't let it hold you back mentally. Anti-d's might make it a little harder, but they don't make it impossible.

Good luck!
  • Weazy16
    Weazy16 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank u so much, nice to get feed back. Have been on several different anti since 2009, currently on cymbalta 60 msg. Definitely more hungry then most, just gotta shrink that stomach and not use anti as an excuse. Thanks again
    Louise
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Have been on anti-depressants too and yes they can increase your appetite significantly.....

Initially I gained and gained a lot due to mindless eating and the one that I was on really made me desire carbs above other food groups.

When I stopped and thought about what I was actually doing I was able to lose weight, albeit slower than without the meds on board....for me I found it helpful to adjust the ratio of carbs to proteins and fats and a higher protein intake felt more satisfying than the highs and lows bought on by binging on a lot of (often) nutritionally deficient carb foods.

Once you get your head around identifying which signals are *true* hunger pangs not the medication it does get easier. Another thing that helped me was to make extra sure that I was REALLY hydrated.....it is mind blowing how much actually being thirsty gets mistaken as hunger, plus anti-depressants often make you really dry in the mouth which just adds to it all.

All the best.
  • Weazy16
    Oh and congrats on your weight Loss! Wow amazing
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I have been on Viibryd for a couple of years and have lost 93 lb. so far in the last 14 months. I take seroquel at night so I can sleep.
  • Weazy16
    Thank u, yes definitely always thirsty with a/d. And ur right about mindless eating, licking Nutella spoons, a cracker here, cookie there, etc. when I eat healthy and control my blood sugar I definitely don't get these crazy cravings. Promised myself today was last time I shop for work clothing in plus sizes !
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    I've been on Effexor for post partum depression for almost 5 months. Gained a lot real fast in the start. I've never had a sweet tooth but would catch myself eating mini chocolates by the hand full. Once I realized what was going on, I was able to control it better. Weight loss is definitely possible, it's just a lot slower than if you weren't on the meds.
  • skthibert
    skthibert Posts: 8 Member
    I recently started antidepressants, about 6 weeks ago. My Dr put me on Welbutrin, and told me it actually helped with weight loss and appetite suppressant. The first couple weeks I noticed a difference in my appetite, but now it's back to normal. I haven't gained or lost anything yet, but Im hopeful since my mood and energy levels are back up and I'm back to being active and socializing again as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Some people manage weight loss on antidepressants by keeping the carb and sugar count low.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Weazy16 wrote: »
    anyone taking antidepressants and still lose weight?

Yep, lost 17lbs last year on double the dose I'm on now.

Other crap got in the way so I stopped and put it back on, but I've lost 7lbs of it again so far. I have about 40 to lose in total, no reason at all why I won't get there.

The meds increase my appetite so I'm never going to be low low calorie as I get so hungry. So I have less of a deficit than others and really increased my exercise level.