How to not go totally off the deep end while on a cruise?

Options
My vacation starts on Friday, by flying into Miami, then on Sunday 15 of us are getting on the ship for 7 days of eating, drinking, and celebrating our friends wedding. All I ever hear about cruises is how much food there is to eat and how everyone eats 24/7. YIKES!

My goal is to 1. Not drink too much, 2. Wake up and work out, 3. Get a plate of fruits and veggies first, then go back for the "bad" foods, 4. Eat lean proteins, and 5. Still have a blast!

Anybody here have any healthy cruise experience and advice?

Replies

• living_4_me
    living_4_me Posts: 38
    Options
    After making healthy eating a priority, I find that my taste buds are sensitive to added stuff ... like salt. So when I was on the crusie, i found that I wasn't as tempted b/c everything tasted a bit salty. That being said, I ate what I wanted but didn't over do it. I tried to work out as much as possible (the track is always a good choice b/c you can't beat the view and fresh air) and just be smart about it. I didn't gain any weight on the cruise and when I got back and got right back on program, I dropped 10 pounds in two weeks.

So here's hoping your experience is as good as mine! Have fun:)
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I've been on a cruise.. A few.. They are wonderful.. and yes there's a TON of food... 24 hour pizza places, 24 room service...

Honestly... If it were *ME*.. I would live it up for a week.. But I know that I am disciplined enough to come back and work extra hard... So if I had gained a few lbs on vacation, so what! I will come back and work extra hard and burn it off.. No big deal.. You can't stop living just because you are trying to lose weight... Doesn't mean you should gorge yourself.. But if you want a slice of pizza, have it!!

Plus, cruise ships have a gym on board!!! So if you are feeling a little guilty about that late night pizza, just hop on over to the gym.. No biggie..

Enjoy!!!!!!!
  • xxx29
    xxx29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I went on a cruise while we were on Atkins. The neat thing about cruise food is that there is a huge variety, and you can choose healthy. You can even ask for special dishes, and they will prepare them for you. (Everyone at my table was eating salmon & Pasta; I got grilled salmon that was to die for!)

My downfall was the cake they served for my parent's anniversary. One piece, and I was off Atkins! (Why I don't recommend Atkins.)
  • suzypoozie
    suzypoozie Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I don't plan on being perfect, just not terrible. :)