Why protein powder?

Options
I've noticed a lot of people seem to use this but why? What benefits does it give you? Does it help with weight loss? I tend to think of it as something you would use if I was following a LCD.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, some protein powders give a good protein per calorie buck ratio. It's mostly used by people who want to increase their protein intake. Some actually do have quite a few calories. Mine has 200 calories per 23 grams of protein but I chose it for the taste, just a higher protein snack since my high protein preferences are limited. It actually does burden my calorie budget, so on my hungry days I don't use it.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Depends as there are a few reasons and will vary for different people to a degree.

I do weight lifting as my main exercise when I go to the gym and have been trying to get enough protein per day to help limit the muscle lost while losing weight. I also have a mild allergy to something in dairy, which limits some of the things I can have to reach my protein goals. So, while I am eating meat and such, at times it is helpful to use a little protein powder (right now I have a vegetable based kind but will try others later) in order to reach the amount recommended. Like today: since I did cardio, worked on my day off, then gym to lift, I didn't quite eat enough protein through food, so the extra bit helped.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in a shake for 20-30 minutes after I lift for a quick protein dose and to help with my immediate muscle recovery. It also just helps me reach my protein requirements without going over my calorie limit on lifting days.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I use it for two reasons. One, because I just like smoothies and sometimes am not very hungry and just want a light meal. The other being that I'm a vegetarian and like to supplement my protein intake.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm plant-based (not vegan or vegetarian, once in a rare blue moon I'll have a little meat, cheese, egg), and my daily protein goal is not high, but I use a plant-based protein powder to supplement and make sure I'm getting enough protein. That being said, I wouldn't even use half a scoop, and I add it to my daily green smoothie....makes it a little yummier.
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use it because I am a vegetarian with a rather limited appreciation of tofu or low-fat yoghurt. It has less calories than most dairy products, is healthy and keeps you full for a very long time. I won't pretend it's s gourmet choice, but it seems a reasonable compromise.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    For me, I use it coupled with strength training because I'm trying to minimize muscle loss while eating at a deficit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Because my non-diet conforming alternative is this

cookie-dough-sundae-1.jpg

My powder tastes like vanilla ice cream and 150 calories of mostly protein is better than 950 of mostly sugar for dessert, right?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

My powder tastes like vanilla ice cream and 150 calories of mostly protein is better than 950 of mostly sugar for dessert, right?

UM if it looks like this, then NO! This is MUCH BETTER!!!
    OP, people use protein powder when they're having trouble meeting their protein needs.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I use it to increase my daily protein intake without adding too many calories and also use it sometimes after workouts for a quick shot of protein. I also have protein shakes as meal replacements some days in place of dinner or breakfast because they allow me to have a larger meal at lunchtime while still being able to stay within my calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a supplement to help you hit your protein goals...nothing more, nothing less. Some people like myself have rather lofty protein goals and they can be difficult to hit without supplementation. I'm very active and I need quite a bit of protein.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of people seem to use this but why? What benefits does it give you? Does it help with weight loss? I tend to think of it as something you would use if I was following a LCD.

Some people use protein powder to hit their calorie and protein goals for the day if they are having a difficult time getting those goals from food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

A few weeks back, I started using protein powder for recovery after my weight lifting sessions, as recommended by people and sources. I am finding my muscles have stopped aching from my weight lifting sessions.

I also made homemade protein bars using some whey protein powder because I have not been getting enough protein my everyday diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I drink lactose free milk, but I also use coconut milk or almond milk for my oatmeal, and alternate between the two depending on my taste. I am now on my coconut milk kick right now, and happened to make my post-recovery protein shake with it. It turned out pretty thick, just like a milkshake. Delicious! :)
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's cheaper per gram than most meat, and easier/cheaper to reach my protein macro supplementing it than just eating "real food"
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    I use protein powder in a shake for 20-30 minutes after I lift for a quick protein dose and to help with my immediate muscle recovery. It also just helps me reach my protein requirements without going over my calorie limit on lifting days.

This. I usually only use protein powder on lifting days for muscle recovery.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Some people use them before exercise. Others just use them for a meal replacement or to help reach their protein goals.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I was finding by a Friday evening after 8 hr of exercise, including lifting, in 5 days I was tired.
    Tried upping cals, still tired.
    Debated for ages about protein powder to get my protein up to 1for 1 LBM, decided to give it a try and it has really helped.
    I am maintaining, so it wasn't a case of not eating enough, I just needed to adjust my macros to suit me.
    I just mix it with water and drink it throughout the day, otherwise it would fill me up, and I would end up skipping a meal.
    Cheers, h
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    For me, I use it coupled with strength training because I'm trying to minimize muscle loss while eating at a deficit.

I echo that statement but I also find it near impossible to meet my protein goals without it.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    http://eatteachlaughcraft.com/food/30-second-fudgy-protein-brownie-mug-cake-recipe-gluten-grain-free/ I eat this for breakfast every day. Chocolate cake for breakfast and with Cellucor (delish) protein powder the cake is about 200 calories. I also will mix it with yogurt and freeze it and then add half a serving of mini M&M's for about 250 calories and I have dessert. Makes hitting my protein goals fun!