I'm new to forums - Girls who lift?

Options
daralydia
daralydia Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi so I've been dancing for 16 years, from 2012-2014 full time and intensive but due to several knee injuries I can't anymore. A couple of months ago I started lifting weights and I am so in love with it, I barely do cardio outside of warming up. How much cardio should I be doing??? I really want leaner muscle too rather than bulkier, my body changes pretty easily (which is good in some cases)

D, xo

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I'm not a girl but I think I can still answer this. Cardio will not help you gain muscle, it helps you to create a caloric deficit, which might be beneficial if you want to lose some body fat. This will make you look more muscular simply by virtue of exposing your existing muscle. But if you are tracking your caloric intake and know your tdee, and you are already eating at a deficit, then cardio isn't necessary, although it may help to speed up the process. Just make sure to keep your protein intake high to make sure you burn fat and retain muscle.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You don't get to choose whether you have bulky or lean muscles; their shape is mostly due to heredity, I think. In terms of cardio, though, Jim Wendler recommends two days of conditioning work a week but I don't really do any, unless I'm in the mood to do high-intensity kettlebell work or a spin class. Sometimes I lift weights faster. Like the post above says, keep your diet in check and you should be fine.
  • PrincessDani229
    Options
    I lift and also do quite a bit of cardio, but I have gained muscle quickly for some reason. To the point where people are commenting on my arms even when I'm not flexing. I love the booty I'm getting though and I think a lot of that is the arc trainer which is my main form of cardio.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As a woman, unless you have way too much testosterone or are shooting 'roids, you're not going to bulk up. Lift on lady!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Lots of women who lift heavy on MFP, this is definitely a good resource. Many posters here can refer you to good intro programs like NLR4W, StrongCurves, and Strong Lifts 5x5.

Dancers don't tend to have a long lean shape because of what they do, Dancers tend to have a long lean shape because the culture is FASCIST about body shape and weeds out anyone with a different physique.

Lift long and prosper, girl.
  • daralydia
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! That was my first was my first time posting on a forum, really appreciate all the feedback!!
  • daralydia
    Options
    I'm not a girl but I think I can still answer this. Cardio will not help you gain muscle, it helps you to create a caloric deficit, which might be beneficial if you want to lose some body fat. This will make you look more muscular simply by virtue of exposing your existing muscle. But if you are tracking your caloric intake and know your tdee, and you are already eating at a deficit, then cardio isn't necessary, although it may help to speed up the process. Just make sure to keep your protein intake high to make sure you burn fat and retain muscle.
    This is really helpful. So I shouldn't worry too much about my cardio/lack there of unless I'm working on my stamina or body fat loss?
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    daralydia wrote: »
    This is really helpful. So I shouldn't worry too much about my cardio/lack there of unless I'm working on my stamina or body fat loss?

Pretty much, yes, at least as far as muscle goes. Cardio has other benefits of course, but in the context of becoming leaner/ more muscular looking, it is simply a tool to burn more calories. Provided you are realizing a healthy caloric deficit already it's not a necessary tool.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I lift at least 2 days a week and like Mmdrop said, unless you are taking supplements that will make you crazy big...lift away.
    As for how much cardio, do what you like and what feels good. I have a friend who ONLY lifts...she loves it and only does the stairmaster as a warmup before she starts in to lifting.
  • daralydia
    Options
    I lift at least 2 days a week and like Mmdrop said, unless you are taking supplements that will make you crazy big...lift away.
    As for how much cardio, do what you like and what feels good. I have a friend who ONLY lifts...she loves it and only does the stairmaster as a warmup before she starts in to lifting.

I like the sounds of your friend haha. I was worried that only lifting would be bad but honestly I just don't enjoy cardio unless it's dancing or an activity like kickboxing etc