scale hasn't moved in six weeks

I'm 1 lb heavier than I was six weeks ago, the scale isn't moving at all, however I've lost a few inches in this time. My tracking is accurate. Do I need to make any changes if I'm losing inches? Six weeks is long time for the scale not to move.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Do you use food scales?

What are your stats and calorie goal?
  • I do
  • My calories are set at 1,480 a day so I can lose a lb a week. I don't want to go much lower because then I'm always really hungry. I rarely go over and I don't eat back all of my exercise.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Why do you care about the scale if you're losing inches? You're obviously making progress. I know it's easy to get hung up on the number on the scale, but that can be a big mistake. Weight can be influenced by a number of things like muscle, water, hormones, etc. Inches, and how clothes fit, are a much better way to measure progress. Taking progress photos is good too.

That being said, make sure you are logging accurately and not overestimating your exercise burn or underestimating your food. From reading your posts it sounds like you've got that down, so I'd say just keep doing what you're doing :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Why do you care about the scale if you're losing inches? You're obviously making progress. I know it's easy to get hung up on the number on the scale, but that can be a big mistake. Weight can be influenced by a number of things like muscle, water, hormones, etc. Inches, and how clothes fit, are a much better way to measure progress. Taking progress photos is good too.

That being said, make sure you are logging accurately and not overestimating your exercise burn or underestimating your food. From reading your posts it sounds like you've got that down, so I'd say just keep doing what you're doing :)

Agreed. You wear your clothes, not your scale. Enjoy how everything fits looser and track by that!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Losing inches is real progress! My guess is weight will drop eventually, you will have that 'whoosh' people talk about but no one can explain :smiley:
  • Ok thanks, I am glad to be losing the inches! I hope a whoosh is right around the corner because I'm close to maintenance and I want it bad!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    An actual plateau is four or more weeks with no movement on the scale OR in measurements. You are seeing a difference in your measurements, so you are not on a plateau. Yes, I know it is frustrating to not see the scale move, but it happens. Since you are losing inches, I really don't think you need to do anything different, except maybe put the scale away for another week or two.

Double check your weighing, measuring, and logging to be sure no extras are getting in. If that is all up to snuff, be patient. The scale losses will start up again and, in the meantime, enjoy the better fitting clothes.
  • earlnabby wrote: »
    An actual plateau is four or more weeks with no movement on the scale OR in measurements. You are seeing a difference in your measurements, so you are not on a plateau. Yes, I know it is frustrating to not see the scale move, but it happens. Since you are losing inches, I really don't think you need to do anything different, except maybe put the scale away for another week or two.

Double check your weighing, measuring, and logging to be sure no extras are getting in. If that is all up to snuff, be patient. The scale losses will start up again and, in the meantime, enjoy the better fitting clothes.

Ok I actually didn't know that, I thought a plateau was when the scale didn't move for while. thank you so much this helps.

Sometimes if I don't hear these things it is hard to find the motivation.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Ok I actually didn't know that, I thought a plateau was when the scale didn't move for while. thank you so much this helps.

Sometimes if I don't hear these things it is hard to find the motivation.

Yeah, I get it. I have had three stalls so far (2 for 3 weeks each and one for 4 weeks) and I had to just keep reminding myself that I am doing everything right and the losses will start up again. I don't do actual measurements except once a month and they sometimes don't move. At my weight, it takes between 30 and 40 lb for me to go down a dress size so the measurements don't change frequently.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Inches trump pounds.