Exercise with a ligament injury...?

Options
hi. I've been using mfp for a little while now but have never posted on here. However now I'm in a bit of a tight spot and was hoping someone might have some helpful tips for me.
I exercise 5x/wk. take sat and sun off.
I do cardio all five days . I try to burn min 500 cal max 1000 cal. Normally I use an elliptical for cardio . Then I do strength training as well.
I have MULTIPLE physical issues ( previous injuries , osteoarthritis, rheumatoid, bursitis, tendonitis etc) however I'm on a mission (lol) to lose 100 lbs and get fit again .
Unfortunately my knees are now plaguing me & the Dr says I most likely have a ligament injury. I have to go for an Mri to confirm (I've already had an ultrasound and X-ray)
I really really do not want to stop exercising or cut back considerably as I have worked really hard this far (almost280, down to 235, now down to 196)
Can anyone recommend gd LOW IMPACT cardio exercises that still burn a decent amount of calories?
And if you've ever had a ligament injury - any tips to ease the pain ??
Any info/tips would be great. Ty
Sorry this is so long winded lol.

Replies

• ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    water? I have tendinitis in my arms, I use a brace but you cant do that on the legs
  • nunyabusiness55
    Options
    I hae heard that aqua therapy and swimming in general would be good , however i dont have regular acces to a pool so i was hoping to find some exercises etc that i can do wuthin my gym or at home.
    Tyvm for your reply though :smile:
  • daviloreana
    daviloreana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So I didn't have a knee injury at the time, but I had a foot injury and my doctor told me the lowest impact cardio machines were the elliptical and bike (the ones with the chair on it so you can sit back and it's less strenuous). Maybe toning down on the elliptical and doing some light biking with the few days you have access to the pool will keep your calorie burn higher.

In terms of easing the pain, I iced for 20 minutes and then let it rest for 20 minutes, and then iced for 20 again for an hour. I would do that every few hours depending on how much it was hurting that day. Otherwise just massaging it tended to help for me.
  • lexielainex
    lexielainex Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Swimming is always great. If your doctor oks the elliptical I would suggest splitting elliptical time and biking.
  • nunyabusiness55
    Options
    Thank you for the info :)
    I've noticed a difference already since I've started icing more frequently , so now I'll switch machines and see if that does help as well :)
    Thx again !