AF cramps starting with exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Had the same issue plus an early and brief visit from dear Aunt Flo a couple weeks ago that coincided with taking up bike riding. So maybe that caused it? But it's also the time my genetically cursed female relatives tend to hit perimenopause, too, so I don't know. Then there are fun fun fibroids that run in the family. So yeah, doctor visits all around. Sigh. I don't want to get decrepit yet, I just got over being fat!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just take a couple of Aleve prior, if I can remember. I usually don't though and just deal with it until I get home and can take something if cramps haven't subsided. Vigorous exercise made it worse so I would advise doing moderate to low intensity for those days. I echo the advice to schedule a doctor's appt. since you're within the 1-2 yr timeframe for a check-up, anyway.

I have endometriosis. Although the pain and other symptoms have diminished quite a bit on my eating plan, it's not consistent. It's no fun feeling bad when you are trying to improve your health!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I have been needing to wear 2 sports bras for the week before and during my period and I never usually have that problem. I am 42. I thought it was that my sports bras were getting looser as I lost weight but I am just more achey and sensitive. I have been lucky enough to not suffer from period pains since I was young. i wonder if its not just a symptom of the blood pumping harder as you exercise? I think if you actually have period pain exercise may help but it will also bring it on perhaps?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have DOMS in your abs and the inflammation is making you more aware of uterine cramping? (Totally made that up ..but it sounds plausible to me :grinning:)

I call them periods but TOM on here, cos I go with the flow (I got Aunt Flo from parenting forums years back too)

Perimenopause symptoms can start 10-15 years before menopause

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you dehydrated? The two times I've been dehydrated, the cramps felt a lot like menstrual cramps.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for saying this outright, and if it is a rude word in the English language I will edit it, but why is it that people never say e.g. "menses" or "menstruation" here?! In my country (of origin) hardly anyone uses euphemisms for that! It gives me a horrible impression that women are somehow considered dirty every time I see a new one. It's a big pet peeve but if someone can explain the linguistic/cultural reasoning may be I can make peace with it? Not a native speaker obviously. Thank you!

In the past some people didn't think it was okay to talk about. Woman weren't supposed to have messy bodily functions and if they did it was supposed to be secret. Some people still act like women are dirty for menstruating. Some women/girls are very embarrased about it or are just using the term that is common to their peers or family group.
    I use the term period. I feel weird calling it anything else.

To the op- I don't get cramping before my period from exercise. I did notice that I got much worse cramps/heavier flow during my period when I did particular exercises so I don't do those during that week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What are AF cramps? Sorry if this a silly question :#

I've never heard of this either.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Maybe you have DOMS in your abs and the inflammation is making you more aware of uterine cramping? (Totally made that up ..but it sounds plausible to me :grinning:)

I call them periods but TOM on here, cos I go with the flow (I got Aunt Flo from parenting forums years back too)

AND I love this explanation!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lounmoun and Mamapeach, period it is then! It does resolve one frustration for me and lets me use a term acceptable both for myself and native speakers I may be talking to, so it really does help me.
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This is the case in my family, grandmother in the 30s, my mother about 36-37, I am already getting the first hints of weirdness at 38. In any case one year is how often one schedules gyn. exams, no? may be it varies by country? I would check with a doctor if it bothers you.