I'm an exercise newbie. Favorite at home things to do?

Options
So, I need some ideas of exercises I can do at home to help myself get in shape. I live in an apartment so jumping around nad making a lot of noise isn't ideal, but any recommendations for videos or anything like that? When it gets a bit nicer out, I plan on walking a few days a week but right now it's like 10F and just too cold to do that.

Replies

• kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do pushups and squats, then triceps dips too. You can also do crunches
  • nono706
    nono706 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    High knees, planks, squats and lunges. Push ups. Lots of bodyweight exercises can be done quietly. I workout while my kids are napping so I have to be pretty quiet, too. Hand weights and resistance bands might be a good option as well.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hasfit on YouTube is a favourite for me or any aerobics on there
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    YouTube's Yoga with Adriene has lots of varied episodes and only minor woo. Quiet but challenging workouts, perky yogi.
  • fafej
    fafej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Google Frank Medrano. He tells you everything you need
    http://youtu.be/X88VqEgMpsY

I follow his advices and it really works. Just stick to basics. No need to do extreme calisthenics on day 1.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Dancing around like a loon followed up by the NerdFitness bodyweight routine
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I use a bo staff and a 5lb weighted hula hoop, which are both quiet. I also do insanity, but the hopping might be a little loud.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Too cold? Nah. When the temperature creeps back up to that, I switch back to just fleece pj's with jeans and windbreakers on top of the works unless I'm biking more than ten miles one way. In that case, it's jeans with military surplus wool and the windbreakers over that. That second set of layers also works for shorter trips when it's well into the negs.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    planks, crunches, squats, lunges, pushups, burpees (I sometimes do intervals with these when there is too much snow to run). Also, I live in an apartment, so every once in a while I will walk stairs. I make a kind of interval workout with that by going up and down.

Also, it doesn't burn many calories but I have started working more on stretching...it just feels so good and is great for when I am too lazy to do anything more intensive. LOL!
  • dshepard81
    dshepard81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! That's too cold for walking outdoors! I use Leslie Sansone's walk at home videos. With the exception of the high impact interval training ones, you can do them all fairly quietly.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts are my favorite at home workouts!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Any Jillian Michaels DVD or Tae Bo (kickboxing).
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender ( website and youtube channel) has lots and lots of free workout videos. You can search by muscle groups worked, intensity and type of exercise ( weights, HIIT, bodyweight, etc).