Eating back calories that you thrown up?

Options
Okay so today i had a bad anxiety attack. After a little while i had ate some food thinking that it will help with the dislocated feeling that i had. Well after i ate i had only felt nausiated and threw up a lot. So i was wondering do i count those calories or do i re eat them. And please no negative comments, i have had a terrible day and would appriciete helpful comments.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't count them, and would eat if you were hungry. Either way, don't stress about it - it's just one day and it sounds like it wasn't a good one.

Take care of yourself.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Actually, your body absorbs a LOT of calories very quickly, even if you throw it right back up. Digestion and absorption begins in the mouth to a certain extent, so even just by chewing you've absorbed more than you think. I think up to 20% of the total calories vomited get absorbed. (This is why people suffering from bulimia nervosa are not typically thin).

If you are hungry, eat a small snack, but I wouldn't eat a whole new meal if you are keeping a close eye on a calorie deficit.
  • shonako
    shonako Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Actually, your body absorbs a LOT of calories very quickly, even if you throw it right back up. Digestion and absorption begins in the mouth to a certain extent, so even just by chewing you've absorbed more than you think. I think up to 20% of the total calories vomited get absorbed. (This is why people suffering from bulimia nervosa are not typically thin).

If you are hungry, eat a small snack, but I wouldn't eat a whole new meal if you are keeping a close eye on a calorie deficit.

Thank you so much this comment was really helpful. Mainly cause i always thought when you throw up food you throw up all of the calories also. Lol learned something new:)
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think food is broken down in the mouth but calories only start getting absorbed in the small intestine. Depending on how fast your digestive system is/what you ate and what was in your stomach before, it usually takes a few hours for everything to be absorbed. (Things like carbs or pure sugar are broken down the fastest). That being said, a person who throws up (like bulimics) will likely not throw up lots of the food/they binge on a whole lot of carbs and the sugars get absorbed before they get a chance to throw up. They say about 30% to 60% of the food gets thrown up. ( I'm going off of what I've read on the issue and this seems to be what most ppl say about digestion. I'm not a doctor).

All that to say you could probably log it as half. But really u should just focus on calming your anxiety. Eat if your hungry but don't give it too much though. Stick to small meals more frequently to go easy on your upset stomach. Feel better and stay safe! :)
  • shonako
    Options
    I think food is broken down in the mouth but calories only start getting absorbed in the small intestine. Depending on how fast your digestive system is/what you ate and what was in your stomach before, it usually takes a few hours for everything to be absorbed. (Things like carbs or pure sugar are broken down the fastest). That being said, a person who throws up (like bulimics) will likely not throw up lots of the food/they binge on a whole lot of carbs and the sugars get absorbed before they get a chance to throw up. They say about 30% to 60% of the food gets thrown up. ( I'm going off of what I've read on the issue and this seems to be what most ppl say about digestion. I'm not a doctor).

All that to say you could probably log it as half. But really u should just focus on calming your anxiety. Eat if your hungry but don't give it too much though. Stick to small meals more frequently to go easy on your upset stomach. Feel better and stay safe! :)

Thank you! This was a really helpful comment! I actually did ended up counting the food I had ate as only half. My anxiety had actually gotten better when I re ate after I threw up and got some rest. Thank you!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »
    Okay so today i had a bad anxiety attack. After a little while i had ate some food thinking that it will help with the dislocated feeling that i had. Well after i ate i had only felt nausiated and threw up a lot. So i was wondering do i count those calories or do i re eat them. And please no negative comments, i have had a terrible day and would appriciete helpful comments.

Would people be that mean? That is awful! I guess some people don't get that words can hurt, even virtually.
    Glad you are feeling better, and like you...I learned something. I will admit at first to thinking "what a strange question?"..but then thought "hmmm..what would I do?" lol
    I am guessing you won't be the only one wanting to know the answer.
  • shonako
    Options
    shonako wrote: »

Would people be that mean? That is awful! I guess some people don't get that words can hurt, even virtually.
    Glad you are feeling better, and like you...I learned something. I will admit at first to thinking "what a strange question?"..but then thought "hmmm..what would I do?" lol
    I am guessing you won't be the only one wanting to know the answer.

thank you for the support:) and you would be suprised at how rude people can be nowadays. I was reading other posts about re eating thrown up calories and people in the comments was accusing the person of having an eating disorder. lol i just wanted to make it clear that i was not throwing up on purpose but it was due to the fact that my anxiety acting up. Thanks again for your feed back.