fitbit hype or helpful?

Options
Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! I am curious about the fitbit. For those of you who have them do you use them regularly or find them helpful? Or are they just pointless and a waste of money. I am debating on preorder on the fitbit charge hr.

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and I love it. It's really made me more active. I'm striving to get my 10k steps each day and love keeping check on my heart rate. Definitely worth it for me in terms of increasing my fitness
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on the person...a lot of people derive a lot of value from them...I think they're a waste of $$$.

I think they are helpful for people who have no clue how active they actually are and either give themselves too much credit or not enough credit for their daily. Personally, I've always been able to estimate that pretty good and don't need a fancy pedometer to tell me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally? Hype, but I'm pretty aware of my activity levels and run a lot so don't need that sort of motivation.

Depends on the individual.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    It's just another assistance tool in weight loss. I got one for a present and use it, no to count calories but to check my activity level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would also add that they can be a good learning tool for a lot of people and they can help adjust habits and behaviors...but again, I think this depends a lot on where you're coming from.
  • Withwings137
    Withwings137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to be super active until I had an injury and children. I got a fitbit one after my first kid was born and it was really helpful in getting me to get going again. I wore it for the first week or so to see what my usual activity level was and then set goals to gradually increase it. I found it motivational to have a number to work towards.
    Also, they are not completely accurate. Use it more as a guideline then an exact science. It only really tracks steps (like walking and running) so any other activity you do, you will need to log in MFP.
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have one but I do want a fitness tracker, just a different brand for whose model is not out yet. I think they can be helpful for those starting out, if you have been active for years and on top of your game then you don't need them to tell you what you probably learned how to tell by instint and experience.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge and I love it.
  • adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and I love it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I got one as a gift and never use it.My activity level is pretty steady and I use a gps device or smartphone for running, walking etc.
    If it helps you get up and move....awesome. Like pedometers that preceded them, it depends on the user.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It keeps me moving. I've lost 100 pounds with that and MFP.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Zip and I really like it. It allows me to more accurately track calorie loss from walking.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think from all the reactions I always see about it, it just depends on your personality / current activity and fitness level. If you area already very active and up and at em all day, with a solid workout routine then this will be a waste, because you are on a level beyond what the tracker is for.

If you are someone who is trying to fit fitness into your lifestyle, and need the reminder to keep active this is a godsent, because it helps to encourage you to move more. For me, my fitbit has been the difference between chilling at the end of the day, or getting up and doing a fast walk for half an hour or so to rack up more steps when I see how little activity Ive had so far. Also, I love a challenge, and this helps me to challenge and push myself..which I need.

but yeah, if I were in the gym every morning, running a few miles every day and had a job where I was running around all the time, I cant see the benefit of measuring activity, since being active wouldnt be an issue.
  • dark_angel1554
    dark_angel1554 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and I love it! I love that it tracks my sleep patterns and gives me a lot of motivation for getting in my steps per day goal.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Let me expound a bit more on why Fitbit has worked for me. I am at the gym every morning at 5:00 AM. I run five miles on an elliptical trainer. I also do that and Zumba on Saturdays as well as other classes when I can fit them in. In addition, I am a teacher so I am moving all day. However, there are days when despite those things I am less active. My Fitbit reminds me to get in my activity. I do AT LEAST 15,000 steps per day. That's my personal goal. No one forces me to do it. I am just motivated. I also know many people that have a Fitbit in their drawer. lol! It depends on you.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    For me it would be Hype. However, I know others who use it everyday and it has really motivated them to get more activity into their day.