Mexican household

Options
bajumjum
bajumjum Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
My family is Mexican follow a very traditional diet. Lots of tortilla, refried beans, etc. I'm trying to lose weight so this isn't ideal. Anyone know any meals I can introduce with low calories but that will still be considered Mexican cuisine?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mexican, or New Mexican?

Does this help at all?

http://oldwayspt.org/resources/heritage-pyramids/latino-diet-pyramid

Tortillas (home made, without high fructose corn syrup) aren't terrible for you. Refried beans can be made lower calorie.

Calabacitas is delicious and healthy. Mexican prepared spinach is fabulous.

Traditional mexican meals often include a lot of fish and seafood. That could be prepared in a way that works with a weight loss diet.

Lots of vegetables.

Good luck!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat the same foods, just less of it. It is possible , I've done it without changing foods, just use less oil.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Portion control. You can sit down and eat tortillas, beans, but you eat one, and make a very large side salad for yourself. Sure, eat enchiladas, a small portion, with a side of veggies.

My family is from Mexico, we always have tortillas and butter on the table, with cheese. I just have the willpower to not eat as much.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ugh, stupid phone won't let me edit...
    Another thing, more frijoles a la olla, less refried beans... small changes like that will help a lot to lose weight.
  • Negriita2010
    Negriita2010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i agree portion control is a good idea im mexican and i understand u lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law eats a "traditional" Tex- Mex diet and used to have several tortillas at every meal. He is down to one per meal. He has reversed his diabetes by eating lots more low calorie vegetables.
  • bajumjum
    bajumjum Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank everyone for the replies. Greatly appreciated. :)
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican, and when I go home to Acapulco to see my family, I often tend to lose a little weight. My secret? I'm lactose intolerant. I eat the same foods my family eats (albeit a little less than some of my cousins) but because I'm lactose intolerant, I don't add cream or cheese to any of the dishes, or its not added when my portion is being cooked. I find those were the only really calorie-dense foods we ate, except for mole (which I don't like), and rajas (which I can't eat, because its cream-based) and maybe rice. I also love, love fruit and having access to fresh, tropical fruit kept me snacking on fruits all day, and jicama.

Corn tortillas aren't very calorie dense. I eat them often even here in Canada from a Latin grocer close by. Beans are good for you, though they can be calorie-dense in large amounts. I find we eat lot of chicken-based and fish dishes, which is a great source of protein. What would you say a typical meal for your family is?
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I make a black bean corn salad with cilantro, lime and cumin that you can eat on tortillas or without.....

1 frozen bag of corn
    1 can of cooked black beans (about 1.5 to 2 cups)
    1 onion chopped
    1 red pepper chopped
    1/2 to 1 bunch of cilantro chopped
    A bunch of cherry tomatoes cut in half
    Purple cabbage chopped
    Lots of cumin (I use maybe 3 tablespoons or more)

Mix all together and let thaw in fridge or you could have thawed frozen for first....its excellent with siracha mayo on tortillas or as a side dish or with some smoked chicken added
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bajumjum wrote: »
    My family is Mexican follow a very traditional diet. Lots of tortilla, refried beans, etc. I'm trying to lose weight so this isn't ideal. Anyone know any meals I can introduce with low calories but that will still be considered Mexican cuisine?

I feel your pain. My household is Cuban. Lots of rice, platanitos, pork, frijoles and flan! A terrible mix for any diet! I would just pick and choose what you can and can't eat. For example...when you have fajitas, just fill them with lots of veggies and some meat or seafood. Maybe try to limit the refried beans.

I try to limit my rice intake and prep myself veggies instead. I stay away from the fried platanitos even though I LOVE them.