motivation to exercise

Options
Hey everyone!

I just joined myfitnesspal this week, and I'm having trouble starting. I'm especially having trouble starting working out. I haven't worked out since October due to crazy busy life, and I'm slightly afraid to start again. Any motivational words and encouragement would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• wicklessgal
    wicklessgal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have not been a big fan of physical activity and because of my weight I can't do a whole lot right now. I have started working out with my Wii fit plus and am begining to enjoy that a lot! Start out small! Little steps is how it begins! Please feel free to add me and I will support you in any ways I can! Good Luck to you.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Start with baby steps. You need to get back in the swing of things, so give yourself small workout goals. For example, decide you're going to go for a 15 minutes walk every day this week. Doesn't matter how fast or how slow, as long as you do 15 mins. Next week, go for 20 minute walks every day. Small, achievable goals will encourage you to keep at it -- since you're not giving yourself HUGE hurdles to get past. As your strength and endurance start to build up, increase your exercise periods, add more challenges.

When I started working out in January, I started with 5 min walks (I was REALLY out of shape). I took it up to 10 and then 15 mins. Then I joined a gym, and started with 30-45 mins twice a week. I then started to increase my time in the gym, and then increased the frequency of my visits. I've been told that I'm officially a gym-rat now. :)

Remember, you didn't lose your momentum overnight... it'll take a little time to get it back. Baby steps.
  • duitsmana
    duitsmana Posts: 17
    Options
    I fell off the wagon a while back-- hadn't exercised in a long time. After joining MFP and making a commitment to get healthy I told myself that to get healthy I not only needed good food but a good work out!! Even if its 15 min-- seeing results is what keeps me going back!! I think my solid workouts have contributed a lot to the jump start of my loss!! Good luck :)
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercising. You can get great results with an hour a week. Promise yourself that, whether it's one session, or two half hour sessions. Make yourself do that at the minimum. Then as you get into it and your seeing results you'll have days where you actually want to workout.
    Just like aflane is saying, start small.

Exercise is important, but it is nowhere near as important as eating right. If you put too much stock into exercise you set yourself up for failure. Start low and work your way up.
    You can do it!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I hated to exercise when I first started. I say grab a friend and just do something, like a walk on the treadmill, build the habit of just getting in activity and soon it will be addicting! :)
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oooh, a great thread!
    I agree with the idea of not creating big exercise goals straight off - too easy to over-do it and get discouraged or even injured. I often wonder how folks on The Biggest Loser can launch into hours a day after not having worked out in godknowshowlong.

I also joined mfp this week and decided that this week I will focus on changing my eating, cut down on sweets, and start journaling my eating on this site. That's plenty for me to take on! Next week I will integrate exercise.