Binge eating

Options
Hey world :)

Just thought we could share some of our top tips to help avoid binge eating! How to stave off urges, distract ourselves, etc.

My main one is making a cup of tea

I struggle with binge-eating and would really love to have some MFP friends who have the same issues. So please feel free to add me as well as contributing to the discussion!

xx

Replies

• cindynhderby7
    Options
    Hi! I have this problem. I am at a healthy weight but I feel like I tend to binge eat a lot. I actually think it's because I get bored. We moved to a new State and husband travels a lot for work. I never had a problem with this until all the change. I would love to have some tips on this issue. I don't want this problem to become a big problem. Thanks!
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I've struggled with binge eating since I was a child. I've become more aware of my binge eating problem over the past few years. When I feel the urge to binge, I try to identify the trigger before I do anything else. What emotion am I trying to block out: sadness, anger, loneliness, fear, anxiety.
    Then I think of what I can do instead of eat: take a walk, call a friend, journal, take a bath, read of book.
    If I do binge, I try to reflect after the fact, how do I feel? was it worth it? why not? what will I do differently the next time I feel the urge to binge?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I just don't start. I think about all the hard I have been doing and I'm to cheap to let it go. Find something else to do like knitting. It keeps the hands busy.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...but every time I find myself reaching for a snack or more than I know I should eat, I force myself to drink a glass of water. It's my major deterrent. If I fill up on water, I'm less likely to eat without needing to.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    whenever i feel the urge or craving to eat something i know is not good for me or "binge" its a cue to me that something else is going on and not about the food.
    stress, anxiety, depression, an argument, etc. its usually emotionally charged. sometimes just taking a moment and knowing thats is something emotional without evening solving the "problem" wards off the binge. sometimes not and thats ok too. i don't beat myself up about it. going easy on myself and having empathy for yourself goes a long way.

in these instances a little self reflection/awareness helps me. no amount of tea or other "substitutes" will resolve the real issue for me.

and practice makes its stronger and almost effortless at times.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum and drinking water and doing something that occupies my hands. And avoid alcohol at all cost if you think there may be any temptation to binge! Drunk munchies will push you over the edge!
  • jseo123
    Options
    I had the same issue, except nothing would stop me--not drinking water, tea, chewing gum, brushing my teeth. Eventually, I found that leaving the house or taking a nap were the only ways that worked for me!
  • nathanmwithers
    nathanmwithers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I do my cut diet take fiber(add it to your drink), drink a lot of water, brush my teeth, and then chew on some gum. Keeps your mind off eating and fiber makes you feel fuller and has health benefits. Hope it helps, and good luck!
  • lynda6184
    lynda6184 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where I can treat myself and eat what I want. It gives me something to look forward to. Then 9 times out of 10, when it comes to that day, I hardly want any of it.
  • willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good tip. I find making peppermint tea a good distraction. If i have the time I'll go have a long bath as I can't eat then and it takes my mind off of it :smiley:
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also make a hot cup of tea. We have a Zojirushi water boiler for hot water, and a tea drawer. To limit caffeine intake I drink herbal or chamomile tea a lot. Hot beverages also make you sip slowly and slow down and be mindful of your surroundings and emotions. It's definitely a great way to counter binge urges!
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Found this link about the benefits of tea for weight loss
    http://www.eatthis.com/5-best-teas-weight-loss
  • candygrl26
    Options
    I'm struggling with Binge eating right now. I do a workout, I feel good, and then.... a cookie! :( Which leads to over eating by the end of the day.