How do I make a fitness routine?

Options
Hi there. i have lost 100 pounds by eating healthy and feeding my body the food it needs to run properly and now i would like to add exercise to my life so i can tone my body as i lose the last 80 pounds (maybe not 80 but we wont know until we know right)

so like how do i know what exercises to do i have a gym in my building with some equipment i have a bar bell and some free weights in my house

tmsd7owdzoay.png

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

I would say you can look at Live Fit Revolution website for some kettlebell routines, Fitness Blender on Youtube for exercise routines, and magazines like Oxygen or Strong Fitness for some routine ideas. Since you are just starting out you will probably need to decrease the weight that they are using in some of the workouts to see what you are capable of doing.

Just start a few times a week and build from there until you feel comfortable with adding additional workouts or time to your routine.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! If it's lifting you're looking for, look into strong lifts 5 x 5.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If you want to be in fantastic cardio shape and burn a ton of calories but don't care about preserving muscle mass or looking good, then focus only on cardio. If you want to look good and be strong, but don't care about being in good cardio shape, then focus only on strength training. If you want both, then do both. As mentioned, stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start for lifting. As far as cardio, you can just start by going on long walks a couple times a week. When you're ready you can move up to jogging, or you can do some circuit training type stuff that just keeps your heart rate up. Another option is riding a bike or swimming. Find something that you enjoy and incorporate it into your life.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The key word here is ROUTINE. Consistency may be the hobgoblin of little minds, but it's definitely the Ringmaster of the weight loss circus!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of web sites and blogs with fitness information out there ... including example training routines, etc. If you are familiar with exercising and weight training, these should be sufficient to get you started.

If you really have no idea at all thou, i would highly recommend you have a session or two with a professional. They can design a program specifically for you, and instruct you in how to perform it properly. Check the yellow pages or inquire at a local gym.

A gym also might provide a larger variety of equipment and services, which might interest you. For example, the gym i belong to has on site sauna and pool, and also runs classes for Zumba, Bokra, Yogo, Spinning, and other communal classes.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ive lost over 100 and now on the home run - maybe want to lose 50 pounds more. I go to the gym 6 days a week. I swim every time ( its great way to start ) i do cardio each day ( treadmill / rowing etc ) and also zumba 4 days a week. I also do strength weight lifting 4 times a week. Im saving the really intensive classes like HIIT and circuits until ive lost more so I can increase again when needed.

The exercise has made a really difference. Congratulations on your loss so far :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to sit down and establish some fitness goals that go beyond just trying to burn calories, etc....this opens up a whole new world of fitness for most people...when they get outside of this mindset that they just have to go drone away and can actually do things and work towards a specific fitness goal, minds are blown and all of a sudden exercise and fitness become really fun.

Ideally, your fitness regimen will have some combination of cardiovascular work and resistance training...your personal goals will dictate how much of each and what exactly you would be doing.

Once you've established some goals, there are any number of programs already established to help you achieve those goals...it's much better to follow a tried and true program than to make up your own.
  • nathanmwithers
    nathanmwithers Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats for all your hard work! Making a routine is to focus around your goals. I would recommend strength training 3 days a week (MWF), and a cardio day once a week. Do this until you start to plateau. Then change up your work out. Look up muscle confusion on google and they can explain it better. If money is not a problem you may want to get a personal trainer for a couple weeks to get you started. I hope this helps!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I like personally like doing 60 to 90 day workout programs. I like having a schedule to follow. I print it out and keep it in my workout space so I can mark it off each day. Since it is schedule I have a hard time letting myself miss a workout.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My advice would be to sit down and establish some fitness goals that go beyond just trying to burn calories, etc....this opens up a whole new world of fitness for most people...when they get outside of this mindset that they just have to go drone away and can actually do things and work towards a specific fitness goal, minds are blown and all of a sudden exercise and fitness become really fun.

Ideally, your fitness regimen will have some combination of cardiovascular work and resistance training...your personal goals will dictate how much of each and what exactly you would be doing.

Once you've established some goals, there are any number of programs already established to help you achieve those goals...it's much better to follow a tried and true program than to make up your own.

This is great advice. There are many different exercise options out there. Some you'll like and some you won't. Figure out a few goals and then search for programs that help with those goals. Try one of those programs for awhile. If you like it, stick with it. If you do not like it, try another program. Don't feel like there is only one route that works.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agree with Stronglifts 5x5.