People keep telling me either to stop losing weight or that I'm too skinny!

Options
13»

Replies

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am about the same age and height as you (52 and 5'5). I would not try to match rudeness with rudeness but a combo of facts and humour might work. Let them know that the BMI healthy range for your height and gender is 108 to 145 so you picked a number in the middle in order to give yourself some 'wiggle" room so you could do things like go on an all inclusive vacation without quickly slipping into "overweight".

I have found that one of the joys of being over 50 is that people are very fond of saying "you know at your your age you have to pick between face and your figure". If someone says this to you, well you know what to say... ;)
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options
    I got the same reaction from loved ones when I first lost weight. I think it was just a little alarming for them to see me suddenly noticeably smaller than I'd ever been since knowing them. And yeah, there is that "gaunt" look when you first lose weight that takes a little while to go away. I just smiled and assured them I wasn't planning to lose much more, that I was happy with my weight, etc.

It's been a few years since I dropped that weight, and now I'm losing more. People have had a chance to get used to me being smaller, and now everyone says I'm looking great with my recent weight loss. I'm 10-15 pounds lighter than I was when they said I needed to stop losing. It seems to me like their initial reaction was just due to them not being used to the new size. Their reaction was genuine concern, definitely not jealousy or anything like that, for me at least.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people think!
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is right it is usually haters that just try and bring you down because you did something about your weight. I am actually the same height working for the same goal and I think you are an inspiration.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only people you should care what they think about your health is: you, your doctor, and to some extent, your significant other.

Some people giving their opinion will do it because they truly care about you but are not aware of your health status (assuming it's good). Some other people are just nosey.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "Opinions are like buttholes... We all have one"
  • TerryKes
    TerryKes Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You guys! You're so awesome! Thank you for the encouragement, the laugh, and the good advice! :blush:
  • jambo1001
    jambo1001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have lost 85 lbs in about a year, I get this a lot. When it comes from people whose opinion I care about, ( wife, close friends) I try to have a real conversation about bmi, healthy weights, etc. With my wife, I spend a lot of time reminding her that I still weigh 20 lbs more than I did when we married. I am at the heavy end of normal, and it does bother me a little when people i care about say i look bad, or tell me to eat something. I truly think it's because we are a heavy society, we are not used to thin people, and I was overweight for 10-12 years.
    For everyone else, I either say "I feel great" or "I'm about done"
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "My weight is not a conversation topic."
    "I would rather us not talk about this, please"
    "I appreciate the concern, really, I do. But I do not want to talk about this."
    "Cool!"
    "Thanks for your opinion."
    "My doctor thinks it's great, so..."
    "So the weather is sketch/nice today!"
    "Ok."

All of these are ones that I have used! :)
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! I am getting that too and I am still 11 pounds away from hitting the upper end of my bmi and there is no doubt I still have some to lose.

I am not sure if people are used to seeing me heavy or what the deal is. I take it as a compliment and keep moving forward :).
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot... "You're wasting away!" It kind of hurts. Like I'm terminally ill or something. It's has more negative impact than positive. Like how do you even respond to that? I think, do I look unhealthy? Am I making myself look sick? Oh well.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If a person says something about how I look that bothers me, I will make no comment and just stare at them until they can no longer keep eye contact. It makes them feel VERY uncomfortable and it works lol
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting your goal! I've noticed that it seems like right after a person loses a good bit of weight, the face shows it most, and people sometimes make those "gaunt" comments. But then after a little while, it's like the body adjusts, almost redistributes?, and the face loses that extra-thin look. I'd just shrug off their comments and enjoy your victory!
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here are some replies my 13 year year old daughter likes to give to pretty much any question or statement.

"Whatev"
    "Cool story, bro"
    "Totes"
    "I know right?" Or just "Ikr"
    "Ight"

These seem to be used interchangeably in any situation. Maybe they will work for you.
    Personally I would probably just not respond and just stare at them (that's a favorite response of my 15 year old son)
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I used to find mean and concerned comments from those close to me quite hurtful but I tried to brush off their comments knowing that I'd find my happy weight. Once I told them I was eating 1700-1800 calories a day and showed them my little muscles they usually shut up. I did end up a little underweight but I knew I'd gone too far and the problem was easily fixed (lol) and now I'm back to drop a few lbs back down to where I was most comfortable. I've told a few people that I'm trying to lose 10-15lbs this time and they don't seem concerned so I think they must have gotten used to me as a smaller person now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!