Just getting started...

Options
I have just started on my journey to a healthier me and 100 lbs of weight loss. I am nervous and scared of failing. I am supposed to consume 1200 calories a day, down from my current 4000! How do I do it? Any help and/or advice for a newbie would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• nataleenassar
    nataleenassar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It sound so cliche but take it one day at a time. You aren't going to overhaul your eating habits and become your goal weight overnight. Trust me I've tried and failed lol. Celebrate the small victories and find some support (I'm new on this journey too and we can help each other if you like) I have a slightly less ambitious goal but when I look at losing it all I get discouraged. I decided to try to lose 5 pounds at a time and I've lost 2.4 in 9 days. Seems tiny but at least I didn't gain it in the past 9 days. Good luck!!!
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't cut down in calories so drastically, you'll see quick results but your body may go into starvation mode where it's used to 4000 , MFP seems to go quite extreme I have mine currently at 1550 just a thought :)
  • runem2011
    runem2011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to one pound a week so you can eat more calories a day.
    Log every day in the diary and buy a food scale so you have reliable entries. You can do this. :)
  • NatashaStanzel
    Options
    Thank you for the advice and support. I did change my goal and was able to stay within my 1550 calories. I spent most of them on popcorn and chocolate... damn that movie night. I feel good about today though. BTW - How do I add you as friends? :-)
  • CierraEstelle
    CierraEstelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Change your goal to one pound a week so you can eat more calories a day.
    Log every day in the diary and buy a food scale so you have reliable entries. You can do this. :)
    I second this part about the food scale...weigh out everything you eat! People very often underestimate their portions. It helps a lot. Just remember to keep logging in every day, stick with it. I've used this site for about 4 years now, and hands down, it's the only thing that helps me keep weight off. As soon as I stop using it, I start gaining weight! So make this website your new best friend. If you have a smart phone, I'd suggest that you download the app! You can even scan barcodes with it. :) best of luck to you! Add me as a friend if you'd like.