Eating too late and can't stop! please help!

Options
Recently I have been trying to lose weight and I have been doing well but unfortunately I am having one huge problem I still eat quite late st night and don't work it off. I've tried cutting back but I sometimes have terrible cravings or else I am genuinely hungry. I've been spreading my meals across the day in the hope I don't binge eat and that I have enough energy for the day but it's still not stopping my cravings at night. Please help what should I do

Replies

• OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Since you know that you tend to eat late maybe set aside a pre-made snack that you usually eat with a single serving size. Then you know the calories that will be there and you can build that into your day either working around other snacks or extra exercise. I wouldn't suggest cutting out any full meals though. I'd reassess the other snacks you may have during the day first.
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hunibee59, I have the same struggle most nights of the week. I do really well with breakfast, lunch....but once 4-5pm hits, I could eat everything in sight!
    Something that's helping me out (I'm still working on this as well) is to make better choices earlier in the day so I'm not so ravenous later...I've learned I need more protein and healthy fats to keep me fuller, longer. Instead of just a salad at lunch, I add some tuna, or other meat, or beans, to give more protein and thus stay fuller longer.
    I also plan a snack around 3-4pm to help curtail a real pig out later in the evening. Something like carrots, an apple and peanut butter are enough to curb the cravings.
    When all else fails, if I can, I close my log for the day! Sounds silly, but its like my mind telling my stomach the kitchen is closed! I try to go to bed if I can.
    I'm still a work in progress on this issue...I'm looking forward to ideas as well!
    Best of luck!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I plan my day to incorporate a high protein snack in the evening. I eat greek yogurt, blueberries and walnuts almost every night. I have to plan my daily calories around my evening snack.
  • hunibee59
    Options
    Thanks Guys all of your suggestions are great I'm going to make a better effort now hopefully and finally nip this problem in the bud soon.
  • tlbev2015
    tlbev2015 Posts: 28
    Options
    Snack-a-holic, that is me. What has been working for me is this...protein at every eating. I eat with in 30 min of waking, not much usually a hard boiled egg. My evening snack is mostly apple and PB or stove top popped corn with olive oil spray and little ranch seasoning. Cut way back on sugar! Sugar just feeds the hunger. Lots and lots of water. Best of luck u can do it.
  • Lbrobt
    Lbrobt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein protein protein...im a cop and yes there is always a donut nearby.....solution for me is to stay away...i find if i have one im craving a 2nd and 3rd...so i snack all day also...lots of fruit..i bring what ill eat to work..protein snacks (nuts, etc in moderation) ..smothies with chia seeds( they expand and get gluey and fill u up)..when i have meals i have more protein than carbs...carbs fill you up but only temporarliy..better to go with a 12 oz steak than a 8 oz with a baked potato...at least thats what works for me....and then at night .before bed, maybe a cup of tea...with 1 or 2 oreos...depending on how the day was calorie wise and maybe the week also....i earned it...im gonna eat it...so now, when im craving the 3rd 4th 5th 6th and 7th cookie, im sleeping through it...post above said it best...sugar (and especially carbs like bread and bagels!!)feeds the hunger...i notice i go 1 week without it..i dont crave it...but i have 1 donut...well theres never just 1 is there...
    Good luck!!!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I eat less food during the day because late afternoon is when my appetite really switches into high gear. It's o.k. if you eat the bulk of your calories late. You can work them off the next day. As long as you don't go over your calorie budget, weight loss will still occur.