ladies.....depo shot weight gain?

Options
lynda6184
lynda6184 Posts: 27 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all, I have been on depo since end of may last year. Before starting having it I was losing weight very slowly but without diet and exercise. Since having the depot shot I have gained a little weight (couple of kg). Started diet and exercise turn of new year. I haven't lost any weight or inches. Been gyming 3x per week and was doing tabata at home. Now I am doing the 30 day shed, still gyming. Still nothing. I eat gud. Never crisps, biscuits, ect. One treat on a weekend which is either a desert or bit of chocolate. I am thinking is it the depo shot making me gain weight but I am only maintaining it due to diet n exercise. Also had hair loss since. Thinking of not having next shot. Any one else experiencing the same?

Replies

• goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My daughter gained a lot of weight on it. She has stopped getting the shots now and is working hard to get the weight off.
  • itzsimba
    itzsimba Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    One of the most known side effects of depo provera is weight gain. Some experience as much as 10 pounds over the course. I have been on it for quite some time and notice weight loss is a little harder to achieve (along side the fact I am getting older)... But the only reason it increases weight is cause it increases appetite.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I gained around 10-15 lbs but I loved not having a period so much that I didn't let the weight gain bother me. I am no longer on it though.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was told the shot stimulated appetite, so the shot doesn't make you gain weight, it's extra eating when you don't actually need it. You say you're trying to make good eating decisions, but how's your daily calorie intake?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    ksmi141 wrote: »
    I was told the shot stimulated appetite, so the shot doesn't make you gain weight, it's extra eating when you don't actually need it. You say you're trying to make good eating decisions, but how's your daily calorie intake?

No. Weight gain is a common side effect. I wasn't eating more or more hungry.
  • lynda6184
    lynda6184 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake is 1200 per day, which I am usually under. My next shot isn'tdue til may but dont think am gonna get it. Its frustrating putting in a lot of work and effort and not getting any results. :(

• TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally I have heard many stories of women gaining weight on depo. On a personal level I have lost most of my weight (over 100 lbs) while on depo. I am still using it and don't have any issues. When I first began using depo my doctor advised that as it is a synthetic pregnancy hormone it can increase appetite.
  • dwwwde
    dwwwde Posts: 2
    Options
    You should consider eating more calories because 1200 isn't enought, and since Depo is hormonal contraception including progestin (synthetic progesterone) it probably will affect your weight. Just do some research about this hormone :) Good luck!