Low Carb and High Protein Diets?

Options
Hello, My name is Simone. My new trainer has suggested for me to go on a Low Carb High Protein Diet. I was wondering if anyone has been on it and what your results were like. I'm going five days strong so far and lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks (ive been working out before my diet). I am female, I weigh 191, and I am 19 years old. I used to weigh 161 and due to some family issues I had to stop working out and stop dieting all together and with the addition of a side effect of an anti depressant I have gained all of this weight! Im pretty mad at myself for letting it get to this point but im back on track to a healthier lifestyle. I am now doing Interval training and this new diet. So can someone give some input? I am also looking for tasty meal ideas that go in line with this diet so any tips and advice would be great! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi Simone :)
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Lost a lot of water weight, didn't lose any faster than any other kind of caloric restriction I had. Cost more money to eat. Got a little weaker in teh weight lifting department, got a little worse in the cardiovascular fitness department.
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying out a "lowER carb, highER protein" eating plan (carbs aren't restricted too much). I adjusted the macro counts in Custom (under Goals in your Settings) to reflect 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat, always aiming to be close to the carb calorie count (give or take 5%), above the protein count, and at or below the fat count. I've been working out moderately, strength training 4 times a week and cardio at least 3 times a week. So far, I haven't felt sluggish, I have lost weight (calories in vs. calories out; very aggressive weight-loss target), I haven't been feeling hungry in between meals, and I haven't been getting bored with my meals. My biggest issue, rather, is lack of restful, restorative sleep (I have insomnia plus Upper Airways Resistance Syndrome--similar to sleep apnea--for which I have a "not very useful" CPAP machine).

Since each person is different, your needs (and cravings) will vary compared to mine, but check out my Food diary. There might be something there that interests you. I incorporate a lot of protein powder, fat free Greek yogurt and lean meats (mainly chicken) in my foods, with complex carbs being focused on oatmeal, sometimes quinoa, sweet potatoes, veggies raw (smoothies, salads, etc.) or steamed or roasted (I love cabbage, Brussels sprouts and rutabagga... good thing I live alone LOL). But, yeah, I have a sweet tooth, so I have my bit of Multigrain Cheerios and either chocolate chips or raisins for dessert every day... I've found a few recipes here on MFP and on other websites that fit the bill really nicely. A few searches are all you need.

Best of luck!
  • thespringbuck
    thespringbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, Gusinott above gets it right talking about a similar macro split that I use, 40/40/20 is what I always use, best results from that. The key for ensuring what you do is a sustainable lifestyle change is IIFYM, if it fits your macros, essentially eat what you like as long as it fits within your macro nutrient splits. Use the TDEE calculator on their website to work out how many calories you should be eating and don't inout your excercise into myfitnesspal, the TDEE calculations take your excercise into account, so you eat the same calories every day. It's a sustainable lifestyle and the results speak for themselves, it's not boring, it works. Carbs are essential for me, and I would not go less than the split mentioned above.... Oh an i apply a 15% deficit to what the TDEE calculates of course to cut body fat, it's not enough for your body to realise you're under-eating, so leptin levels are maintained and your body doesn't go into starvation mode.