Can't get myself to the gym

Options
Hello fellow warriors,

When I started this journey I was hitting the gym 5-6 times a week. Recently I started school and having a full time job my workout window gets pretty narrow. But don't get me wrong, I do have time to workout if I really wanted to. Thing is ,
it's too hard for me to find the motivation to walk myself to the gym. Sometimes I even put on workout clothes but end up doing something else. When it comes to eating I'm doing amazing and loosing weight but it's not enough. Any advise? Pls

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find some workouts or bodyweight exercises that you can do at home? Another possibility would be seeing if the school has a gym that you can use if you have a break in between classes?
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would make time. The mental beatings will ensue as long as you continue to put it off....

P.s. your welcome
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Maybe not six days. Shoot for 4 and get it done.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stop trying for 5-6 days. That's just too daunting for everything you've got going on. Aim for 2-3 days a week and then do it. No excuses. No putting it off. Treat it like an appointment you can't miss.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any advise? Pls

Go to the gym
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    I would make time. The mental beatings will ensue as long as you continue to put it off....

P.s. your welcome
    oh wow, so true. I needed this, thanks :) Been struggling a bit more lately even though I love working out. I think it's the cold, it's so easy to talk about how it's too cold. lol

OP Hope something in this thread hits you in just the right way and gets you back to your workouts ;)

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have bouts of the i dont want to's (anxieties)

I always feel great on my way back out the gym after my session
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym in the weekend, and get some equipments, and some high intensity interval dvds to work out at home.
  • jaysiekemso
    jaysiekemso Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow warriors,

When I started this journey I was hitting the gym 5-6 times a week. Recently I started school and having a full time job my workout window gets pretty narrow. But don't get me wrong, I do have time to workout if I really wanted to. Thing is ,
    it's too hard for me to find the motivation to walk myself to the gym. Sometimes I even put on workout clothes but end up doing something else. When it comes to eating I'm doing amazing and loosing weight but it's not enough. Any advise? Pls

I would play some good music and put my headphones on :) and I would run/jog to the gym and think of it as my cardio workout. Just do weights at the gym lol no more cardio there
  • pinkpetals84
    pinkpetals84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, THANK YOU ;) all for the great words of advise. Guess where I'm headed?
    To the GYM!!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's too hard for me to find the motivation to walk myself to the gym
    giant pile of hippopotomus cacka.

stop making excuses about it being to hard- it's- you just don't care.

start caring- stop trying to over think it- if you put on your clothes- get your jacket- your hat- your car keys- whatever and get your *kitten* out the door.

it's never going to get "easier" it never "fits"- you just make it work until it becomes second nature- the more you put it off the harder it is to get back into so just go do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just do it until it becomes habit...you fake it 'till you make it. I hate missing gym days, I always feel like crap when I miss a workout.

Beyond that, make sure you're doing things you actually enjoy. I don't know why people make themselves do a bunch of crap that they hate...never makes any sense to me.

I, for example, hate cardio equipment and you will only find me on an elliptical or treadmill if the weather is bad and but I still need to get in my cardio fitness...I would otherwise prefer to be outside on my bike riding. I pretty much only use the gym for the weight room...everything else that I do is outside of the gym.

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I pack my gym bag the night before and take it with me to work the next day. I then make myself go, regardless if I want to. On days I don't really want to be there, I find I get a great workout afterwards. My goal was to aim for 2-3 days a week until that became routine. I'm now aiming for 3-4.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY want to do it, then you just do it. If you REALLY don't, you won't. This is a decision you fix yourself. You can get all the advice, inspiration, encouragement, etc., but ultimately if you really want to, nothing will stop you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I hope it's OK to share this post I wrote on my blog, but I recently came to the conclusion that motivation is overrated. We put too much stock in motivation (which is a fickle, human emotion) and a lack of attention into perseverance and patience (the habits needed for long term success).

http://thecouponproject.com/losing-weight-on-a-budget-motivation-is-overrated/
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to go to the gym even if you don't plan to work out. With your workout clothes on. Once you're there you'll probably workout.

To be honest, I think my second suggestion will really work although it sounds like you already got some motivation since you posted. Buy a pre-workout powder or caffeine pills and take it. I take a scoop of Ripped Freak with about 10 grams of BCAAs and about 10 min later I feel like tearing the roof off the house...try it, even if you're telling yourself you have no motivation...in 10 minutes you will. Lol.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I do that I feel like how I look in my profile pic lol
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Make it an appointment in your calendar.
    My phone beeps and tells me that its time to leave for spin class.

• MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work 40-60 hrs a week and I also go to school.... For the last few weeks I have been completely worn out and too tired to do anything once I got home. Honestly, you just have to push through it. make yourself get up an extra 30-60 min early or stay up late and go for a quick jog.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself its nonnegotiable. I think weve all done this. I have a plan today. I'm going to the the Y with or without my husband today at 1pm. I am. Because I need to. If I don't go and gain weight, don't like the way my clothes fit then that's just thought *kitten*. I can't complain about it. I have to tell myself to shut up and go.

There's a cartoon, The Oatmeal. Its about the Blerch that wants to undermine our goals. Its pretty funny. I want to outsmart my Blerch..