Kefir

Options
Anyone use Kefir...? I have read that its good for your gut... Just want to know how much to start with as they say you should ease into its use. I was planning on mixing with my protein shakes. How much to start with and how much per day are just a couple of questions I have at this point. Thank you for any advice or information.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think is a healthy addition to your diet. However a friend of mine started taking it and her breath was disgusting when she was drinking it. She had to stop, and the breath problem went away.
    We could not find out why??
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I use 113 g (4 oz.) of kefir daily in my frozen fruit and protein smoothie with 227 g of either almond or coconut milk. The kefir adds creaminess, without much lactose, that the almond and coconut milk lack. I never had an issue, but I eat Greek yogurt a lot too.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I also use about 1/2 cup Plain unsweetened Kefir in my protein fruit smoothie in the morning along with either fruit juice, Diet 7up or flavored water. ( I know, artificial stuff but it's usually the only time I use it) the Kefir is like a tangy, thin yogurt you can drink. I prefer to mix it in something. The difference between Kefir & yogurt are the Probiotic strains. Kefir has many more, which is great for the gut! It does make the smoothie creamier too.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I adore kefir. Must get some soon.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It is good, but watch out for high sugar content in many of the store bought ones. It is very easy to make your own. There is milk kefir and water kefir, which makes a delicious soda-like beverage.
  • kkpal
    kkpal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's 1% Plain. 1/2 cup has 7 grams of protein and low sugar. I add roasted cumin powder and some water, taste like lassi (Indian drink), if you like sweet add fruit and make smoothie style. I love it, very healthy and taste is very similar to plain yogurt.