Heart Rate Monitor UK

Options
Monkeymin
Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
Hi, does anyone in the UK know where I could buy an affordable Heart Rate Monitor? I have looked at Amazon but I have no idea if the cheaper ones are any good?

Replies

• kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone in the UK know where I could buy an affordable Heart Rate Monitor? I have looked at Amazon but I have no idea if the cheaper ones are any good?

I'm in the same boat - want one but not sure which is best and I don't have much to spend!
  • curlyelm
    curlyelm Posts: 73
    Options
    I asked the same thing a wee while ago and the respunding opinion was the Polar ft4!

I am still looking around to order mine at the mo,
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    the polar I have is good but is mid range. from what I've found out with using mine is

1. it takes away assumption your heart rate average is what it is wether you think you worked hard or not and that food eaten is bloddy hard to exercise off :-)

2. its a moivator
  • Monkeymin
    Options
    where can I get this Polar?
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    where can I get this Polar?

online stores, Argos, Fitness shops should be around the £65 mark
  • scratchless
    scratchless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    morning all

Polars can be bought anywhere, Argos sell them and so do Sainsburys.

I bought mine online and got something like £20 off. you need to look around.

All i can say the cheap ones are good and they check your heart and can talk to the machines in the Gym but i spent £80 on mine and mainly cause it measured how many calories are lost and lets face it, thats what we are all here for.

So just make sure whats on the tin is exactly what you want it to do.

I love mine and use it for everything, even when doing doing odd things I wouldn't normally do, Snowboarding, DIY, cleaning.

I wouldn't be without mine, I push myself harder and harder based on what it tells me no what I am feeling

R
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hiya, try the sports shops, I am in the process of investing in one myself. I also looked on amazon. Good luck.
  • Monkeymin
    Options
    Hiya, try the sports shops, I am in the process of investing in one myself. I also looked on amazon. Good luck.

Thanks. :)

£65 is far too much for me at the moment. I've seen some on Amazon for under £15, has anyone bought one this cheap?
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I love mine and use it for everything, even when doing doing odd things I wouldn't normally do, Snowboarding, DIY, cleaning.

I wouldn't be without mine, I push myself harder and harder based on what it tells me no what I am feeling

R

A heart rate monitor estimates calories during physical activity like running, rowing and cycling by using a complex formula: heart rate during physical activity x some personal information = calories. However, it doesn't calculate calorie burn accurately when you're not exercising.... And because people generally spend only about 25% of their day being physically active, you don't get a complete picture of your daily calorie usage. (source: http://www.kiperformance.com/)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Try Wiggle (online sports equipment). They have loads.
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lloyds Pharmacy has reduced theirs to £13 at the moment from £20 so waiting for pay day then will be buying one of theirs.
  • Monkeymin
    Options
    Lloyds Pharmacy has reduced theirs to £13 at the moment from £20 so waiting for pay day then will be buying one of theirs.

Thanks. I'll check my local out.
  • FearOfFrying
    FearOfFrying Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am after one too, I heard the most accurate ones are the type with the strap you wear, opposed to the wrist watch type. I have one on my running machine but it is never correct. They are cheap enough on eBay.

Regards Rob
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I got mine from lidl, it was £15.99 and comes with a chest strap. It seems fine, shows calories burned and has chronometer & pedometer (Altho I don't use them). The chest strap is comfortable enuf.

I wasn't in the position to buy an expensive one but I wanted a guide to what I was burning. I'm happy :-)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just saw the one in Lloyds Pharmacy (link below).... it's cheaper in the chemists than online - only £12.99

I thought it was such a a bargain, so I bought one.... don't really need one, as I've already got a KiFit....!

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1008&storeId=90&productId=360761&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=&top=&top_category=&fromPage=Search&hotspot_prefix=
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I read loads of reviwes on rthere, and ended buying the Sigma PC11 for £20.

So far it's great, though I did replace the battery in the belt after about 2 months becuase it was dropping signal too much.

The watch instructions are in German, but it is easy to change into English. It's very easy to set up with your height, weight etc etc and it's very easy to start it. Hold the button for 3 secs, press 'training' 'start' and away you go. It does HR and cals burned and total time etc.

I only find it loses signal when I bend over, so I dont bend over basically and miss out any floor exercises. So far it's great and I use it all the time.

ETA - Keeypoos is dead right it is a massive motivator, not only can you see what you are burning but you can decide to stop or carry on to get yourself to a round number etc, or carry on to burn a higher number etc.

Also, with the chest strap be sure it's wet on your skin. At first you'll have to slobber a load of saliva on it so it works