Both
  • smythepatricia90
    smythepatricia90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Convenience or preference?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like my own cooking most of the time, but I won't pass up a really good restaurant and there are some things (like yogurt or cottage cheese or chocolate) that I don't yet do myself.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I go with homemade 95% of the time. I think the food I cook tastes better than a lot of restaurant food (especially chain restaurants).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty kick *kitten* in the kitchen...I prefer my own, home cooked meals. I like to eat out a few times per month and in that case we generally prefer higher end local establishments that serve up not only interesting fare that I don't necessarily know how to do myself, but actually use fresh, scratch ingredients rather than institutionalized franchise stuff.

I'm pretty much a food snob and always have been.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I prefer both. About 2 of my weekly meals are pre-made. The rest is homemade.

That's not because pre-made is bad, it tastes great to me, but my homemade food is just lower in calories. My homemade hamburger would be about 450 calories, while a pre-made one would be 600-700 example.

• parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    I prefer both. About 2 of my weekly meals are pre-made. The rest is homemade.

That's not because pre-made is bad, it tastes great to me, but my homemade food is just lower in calories. My homemade hamburger would be about 450 calories, while a pre-made one would be 600-700 example.

Amen, sister! I eat at home most of the time nowadays.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I've seen with pre-made food is too much salt.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    homemade... my own and then my brothers are awesome cooks... and of course Mom's can never be beat.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty kick *kitten* in the kitchen...I prefer my own, home cooked meals. I like to eat out a few times per month and in that case we generally prefer higher end local establishments that serve up not only interesting fare that I don't necessarily know how to do myself, but actually use fresh, scratch ingredients rather than institutionalized franchise stuff.

I'm pretty much a food snob and always have been.

Snap, except we don't eat out that often, but when we do our local Italian is pretty good, and the local Thai has amazing food. If I'm paying to eat out I'd prefer to eat something really good, and something that I probably wouldn't make at home.

I do buy ready meals occasionally, but for those busy days when my husband is on late shift and I'm trying to do everything on my own with 3 young kids to look after. It's very rare though, it's much easier to just put jacket potatoes in the oven and add some tuna.

Even my 10 month old has never had food from a jar...our freezer is full of little pots of homemade puréed chicken stew, spag Bol, lasagne, pasta and broccoli etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!

I haven't figured out how to make Moose Tracks Ice Cream- or double chocolate extreme fudge ice cream- or cake. ... or all you can eat meat for the cost of all you can eat meat.

Which means- yeah. I like both.

And also- reeses. haven't figured that out yet either. I mean- I could- but why when a bag is like 4 bucks.

also oreos?

totally do able.

so BOTH!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    90% of my meals are home made...but I get some help from Cambell's slow cooker and skillet marinades.

So I guess both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't buy premade meals typically. Except sushi from Wegmans once in a while, Trader Joe's stuff once in a blue moon, and obviously restaurant food about twice a month.

But I do buy packaged stuff like bread, cookies, ice cream, Greek yogurt, chocolate, cheese, tortillas, deli meat, sausage, frozen veggies, and some frozen grilled fish fillets (because great sales lately). I'd love to make my own baked goods but knowing myself, it wouldn't end well.

My kids totally grew up on baby jars though after I tried making my own food and they would NOT eat it.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been a scratch cook my whole life because my mom was a Depression-era farm girl who taught me to cook by the time I was 12. She had such a thing against processed and premade foods, and it bugged me in my youth, but I'm grateful for that now. So I look at premade foods, pick them up, realize the packaging makes them look way bigger than they really are, and walk away. Giving up processed foods for this diet wasn't an issue, because I've never really eaten much of them.

I made my own pita bread a few weeks ago. I make most of my own spice blends and use a fraction of the salt in commercial ones. I make my own sausage, grow tomatoes for sauces, and I have a thing about doing it all economically. It's a bit of an obsession. I don't cook for the dogs anymore, though. Twelve years was enough.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I prefer food. So.. both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh we do have a garden in the Summer. I'm thinking I might try and figure out how to make tomato sauce this Summer so I can stock up on some of that (if I figure out how to prevent it from going bad). Otherwise, it's just much cheaper to buy canned tomatoes than make your own frankly, considering the price of tomatoes!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Home made. Then well made restaurant food. I like to know what's in my food, or at least trust that I'm eating something that's well made by folks who care about food.

I don't eat a lot of fast food. I don't eat much in the way of frozen meals, or packaged meals. They don't taste good, and usually have too much added sugar, too much salt, and too many preservatives and other mystery ingredients. Frankly, they just aren't worth the calories.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with too salty. Even from brand to brand with butter and cheese it's noticeable, but prepared foods are even worse. A lot of things are noticeably too sweet, too. I'd rather make my own and have flavors like chipotle or thyme or basil stand out instead of things tasting like a salt lick.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Both for me. Home made I'd need to know who's cooking and cleaning up.