Restaurants - Need some help!

Options
Hi everyone.

So for a week this month I'm going to visit my sister and her boyfriend.

Now let's get to the problem!

They can't cook, at all. Students. So 3 times a day, they get take out or go out to eat (nutritional value not always online, and they never tell me ahead of time where they are going even if it is online). I'm not someone who demonises food, but honestly, I need some help here.

I still want to stay in my deficit...I NEED to make progress that week. I don't want to eat maintenence or just forget it and eat what I want. I really do WANT to make progress. Restaurant meals are so high in calories, how can I eat there three times a day for a week and still make progress??

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way. My calorie goal is not that great. Only 1450. And they don't work out much just sit around all day. Holding the keys. So I can't go out either. Lol so I can't be hopeful for earning any extra calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Cook for them.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Because they don't work out, doesn't mean you can't. As for eating out, you are just going to have to use common sense. Lean beef, chicken, or fish. Vegetables instead of fries and such. If you get a salad, low.cal dressing or get it on the side. Also remember portions are usually bigger so eat half and box the rest. I'd go out on a 30 to 45 minute walk everyday if you can, if not bring some workout videos or something. Don't let their lifestyle affect yours.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cook for them.

This.
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Oh and by the way. My calorie goal is not that great. Only 1450. And they don't work out much just sit around all day. Holding the keys. So I can't go out either. Lol so I can't be hopeful for earning any extra calories.

You don't need a car to exercise. Last time I checked. Use your feet.
  • Leana088
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cook for them.

This.

You don't need a car to exercise. Last time I checked. Use your feet.

Lol! Not the car keys, the house keys.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are they locking you in or something? Tell them you want to go out for a walk. I can't imagine why they would tell you no? I can't imagine sitting in a room all day every day for a week but that's just me (and if they are students, don't they have school?).

Anyway, for the food, stick to grilled stuff, veggies, sauces on the side, avoid fried things... just use common sense. Take your phone to the restaurant and check calories if you can before ordering. I have no idea what people typically have for breakfast when they eat out but most places have omelets or oatmeal... just watch the toppings obviously.

I don't know how old you are, but I wouldn't drive myself nuts with 1450 calories for that week, it's fine if you eat closer to maintenance for a week, it would seem pretty hard to stick to if you eat out all the time.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Explain that exercise is important to you and come to some kind of compromise. I hope they will be respectful of your lifestyle, and while you may not be able to exercise every day you are there (or even want to!), you could work out a plan for several of the days. As for restaurants ... good grief, you will be sick of restaurants by the end of the week!
  • Leana088
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Are they locking you in or something? Tell them you want to go out for a walk. I can't imagine why they would tell you no? I can't imagine sitting in a room all day every day for a week but that's just me (and if they are students, don't they have school?).

Anyway, for the food, stick to grilled stuff, veggies, sauces on the side, avoid fried things... just use common sense. Take your phone to the restaurant and check calories if you can before ordering. I have no idea what people typically have for breakfast when they eat out but most places have omelets or oatmeal... just watch the toppings obviously.

I don't know how old you are, but I wouldn't drive myself nuts with 1450 calories for that week, it's fine if you eat closer to maintenance for a week, it would seem pretty hard to stick to if you eat out all the time.

They are students but its break time when I go to visit. Thing is, they don't know that I'm trying to lose (they tend to think I'm a bit obsessive) so I don't know if they will respect that. I really want to lose weight that week because I haven't lost too much yet, and I want to do well with weigh in.

And here's the thing, I'm not in America/England/canada/other overseas country. I live in Africa, here, grilled options for meat in restaurants are very few! Like most only have a grilled wrap, or a grilled burger (maybe). We also don't have vegetable sides with meals (always mash or chips), maybe some salad.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    what about loading up with fruit/veg/granola bars, etc. at the grocery store and eating just before you eat out. Then at least you won't be hungry every time a waiter comes by ...
  • Leana088
    Options
    The only option I can think of is to eat very small portions of every meal. Sad but true. At least we have diet coke. So I don't have to worry about drinks too. :confused:
  • Leana088
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    what about loading up with fruit/veg/granola bars, etc. at the grocery store and eating just before you eat out. Then at least you won't be hungry every time a waiter comes by ...

If they were to go to a supermarket that would be an option. But I'm not one to ask them to drive me there specially for that. So I don't know. Hopefully.
  • Leana088
    Options

If they were to go to a supermarket that would be an option. But I'm not one to ask them to drive me there specially for that. So I don't know. Hopefully.

Because the only snacks they keep in the house is sweets and leftover take away. Lol.
  • 4leighbee
    Options

Seems to me you could assert yourself a smidge, given the circumstances (but I don't know the dynamics of it all - it is an hour away). I'm not suggesting that you should be pushy - just explain the importance of this to you and ask if they would be willing to go once at the start of your visit (or something like that). Or - could you pack them into your bags ahead of time? (not fruit and veg maybe but granola bars anyway)
  • klbgoldy
    klbgoldy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a book you can buy maybe $10 it's the diff food chains and tells all the nutrition facts! I love it bc if I have to be out I use that book!
  • mel02monroe
    mel02monroe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why don't you offer to stock up their fridge and cook for them, or at least get healthy things to eat between meals so you eat less when you do go out. I do believe you need to assert yourself more. They would understand. Also, if this is a lifestyle change, they are going too be exposed to your healthy choices sooner or later anyways.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why don't you skip the visit? It sounds pretty stressful. If I were going to visit someone and I wanted to keep losing weight, I would eat wherever my hosts ate, but I might only eat an appetizer or soup or even skip a meal if I wasn't hungry or had already eaten enough. And I wouldn't visit anyone who wouldn't understand me wanting to get out for frequent walks. That's what I like to do on vacation! Decide whether this is about "them" (and if so, I'd skip the visit) or whether it's about you. Good luck!
  • Leana088
    Options
    Fortunately for me, she decided to reschedule the visit to June. Which is a bit better, because by that time I would have lost all the weight I needed to lose and would be maintaining.

While still difficult, it will be easier to maintain my weight with all the eating out versus trying to lose while doing it.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I would eat wherever my hosts ate, but I might only eat an appetizer or soup or even skip a meal if I wasn't hungry or had already eaten enough.

I looked up nutritional info on some of our known restaurants around here. Even the soup have 500-600 calories. The salads (this is the meal-salads, not the side-salads) have between 600-700. With a calorie budget of 1450, that's a bit scary. They are the LOWEST options on the menu. But still insane.

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well, your calorie goal will be higher by the time you go, but that nutritional info will help. You could have a soup one meal, salad the next and bring some protein/granola bars that you eat for breakfast and ask to skip that meal with them and use the time while they are gone for breakfast as an exercise time.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Well, your calorie goal will be higher by the time you go, but that nutritional info will help. You could have a soup one meal, salad the next and bring some protein/granola bars that you eat for breakfast and ask to skip that meal with them and use the time while they are gone for breakfast as an exercise time.

This is actually a great idea. I don't usually eat protein/granola bars for breakfast as they don't fill me up as much, but its a better lower calorie option.

They would probably still ask me to go with them, but I don't think they will mind then if I just order a cup of coffee. I'l just tell them I don't have much of an appetite in the morning anymore. ;)