New to Exercise

Options
So I have decided to start this new lifestyle from tomorrow due to being unwell - I am hoping if my chest is feeling better to also get back in the gym but not a clue where to start.

I am extremely unfit and currently stand at 18 stone 6

Any advice welcomed?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged with exercise if your weight goes up initially. People new to exercise will usually gain a few pounds due to water retention (for repair) and glycogen storage (for energy).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    misst3687 wrote: »
    So I have decided to start this new lifestyle from tomorrow due to being unwell - I am hoping if my chest is feeling better to also get back in the gym but not a clue where to start.

I am extremely unfit and currently stand at 18 stone 6

Any advice welcomed?

Have a go at a few forms of cardio and see what you enjoy, is my advice. I used to think the gym was all about running on the treadmill as whenever I had an induction session, that is what was recommended to me. Which is great, except running bores me to tears and is tough on my knees which I have problems with anyway. So I would go for a week and never go back.

Now I've discovered I much prefer the bike, elliptical and walking on the treadmill on a slight incline. I actually look forward to those things and don't dread the gym like I used to!

Also, look into strength training :) This my next step, and something that really suits me as I can't wait to progress and, because my goal will be about getting stronger, it takes the focus off burning calories purely for weight loss and turns it into something more enjoyable.
  • tericx
    tericx Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank You - I am exactly the same with the treadmill. It bores me to tears. I have been googling for ideas but everything scares me
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    misst3687 wrote: »
    Thank You - I am exactly the same with the treadmill. It bores me to tears. I have been googling for ideas but everything scares me

Are you able to book a session with a trainer at your gym at all to get a program made? Sometimes that can be helpful as you can talk through with them what you do and don't like (or try a few different things with them if you don't know and find out!) and they'll come up with a plan around it. In my case though, I changed quite a lot of it to suit me as I feel that it's better for me to enjoy the exercise and go more, than hate it and go less. I still push myself a lot.

Alternatively, have you thought about trying a sport or classes? Some people find these a lot more engaging than the gym.
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? They can be good if boredom is an issue.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Zumba? Or any classes take your fancy at the gym
  • tericx
    tericx Posts: 16
    Options
    I will have a nosey, I'm very self conscious but I need to do this... Been depressed for far too long