No Cost Exercise Suggestions

Options
katieb63
katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
Hi All

Can you give me some suggestions? I am starting from scratch and thought I would start with just walking - having now spent on 4 different shoes I am still struggling to walk without getting pain in the front of my shins. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Katie

Replies

• erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. Most people buy shoes because they like the brand, the style or price. But if you get fitted by a running store they analyz your foot, your activity, and your gait then find the shoe that is right for you. I highly reccomend it. Tons of people from athletes to novice runners to mall walkers get fitted for shoes, so don't let a running store intimidate you!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had pain too when I first started out I think as the other poster said get fitted for shoes and in addition I would advise that you take it slow even if you can only do 15min pain free then try adding on 5 extra minutes per week/month....Try some dvd's u can get from the library or Youtube ..Richard Simmons and Susan Sansone Walk Away The Pounds
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Can you give me some suggestions? I am starting from scratch and thought I would start with just walking - having now spent on 4 different shoes I am still struggling to walk without getting pain in the front of my shins. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Katie

shin splints and I get them so to counter them I
    1. do Stretches of the legs before walking
    2. I do NOT over tighten the shoes as this restricts the blood flow
    3. I some time take an anti-inflamatrey Ibuprofen.
    works for me
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'd advice the same get your shoes at a running store and start slow!
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options
    Might even be an idea to see a podiatrist. They should also know what shoes will suit you the best. I went to one and I took her advice on shoes and couldn't be happier.
    In regards to exercise, walking is a very good start. Its also the easiest to be consistent at. Some ways to motivate yourself are timing your walks and gradually trying to improve your time and distance.
    Do you have an iphone? if so I would suggest you download "Runkeeper". it's an App that uses the phones GPS to track your journeys be it running, walking, cycling or even snowboarding. great easy motivation. and it calculates your calorie's burned which you add to the "my fitness pal" app
    You can achieve the same results without the app though but its a little difficult to work out accurate distances.
  • mummy2oscar
    mummy2oscar Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi !
    It's 'Shin Splints'
    I get them too, try taking a glucose or Lucozade tablet 1/2 hr before you go
    Good Luck
    :bigsmile:
  • katieb63
    katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, running shop is a bit intimidating but I went in for shoes so I can do again, was scared they would insist I ran :-) Will give all the suggestions a go. Iphone app is loading as I type.
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options
    My podiatrist recomended Asics Nimbus Shoes for myself to assist my gait and lower back issues. They are very expensive shoes but by far the best shoes I have ever bought. My wife got a pair after I raved about them and she says they are like walking on Pillows.
    In saying that we both have neutral feet which they are designed for.
    If you have shin splints I would definitely look into seeing a podiatrist.
    You will love Runkeeper, you can set it up to tell you your time,distance,speed,pace and it maps you path for you to view when your finished.
    There are also a few similar apps that help you build up to a 5km run but i haven't used them.
    I wish it could sync runkeeper with My fitness pal as I use both apps together.
    My iphone is my personal trainer now.
  • Misslionheart
    Options
    My feet and calves ached for the first few days. Now i can walk for 30 mins...easily. :)
  • GJ7072
    GJ7072 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All the equipment I use are two 5 pound dumb bells. I use them during almost all my exercises, not just the ones for my arms.

Every WEEKDAY morning I do abs exercise for 5 minutes, arms for 5 minutes, cardio (jog in place) for 5 minutes for a total of a 15 minute workout.

Every WEEKEND morning, I do everything double for a total 30 minute workout.

Then I alternate walk/jog every day during my lunch hour - 1.5 miles.

Doesn't cost a thing (except for the initial purchase of the dumb bells) and works great for me
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One thing you could try - walking indoors. Walking videos can be done on a carpeted floor or an exercise mat. This may cut down on the impact. Plus walking videos use different leg muscles - a nice change sometimes. Walking on asphalt takes some getting used to. Build slowly.

For a free look at walking videos - go to ExerciseTV.com - the walking workouts are by Leslie Sansone Start! Walking 1 Mile ( and Start! Wallking 2 Miles). If this format works for you - your library may have a couple of DVDs (Netflix has several). The older (Walk Away the Pounds) videos are inexpensive at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross. Newer vdeos (Walk at Home) can be found ($10-$15) at Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.
  • createdbyGod
    Options
    try cycling instead?