What is a realistic goal anyway?

Options
Ok, I want to lose about 20 pounds overall and started MFP thinking that a 2 pound loss per week seemed like a realistic goal; so that's what I plugged into the machine. The resulting caloric intake goal was tough at first (1250), but is now completely manageable- however, here's my problem:

I have plateau'd with my weight...for nearly 2 months. What gives? I am beginning to wonder if my 2 pound a week goal is unrealistic for my body type/metabolism. Perhaps a one pound a week loss (and resulting higher caloric intake) would encourage my metabolism to rise a bit? Any thoughts?

I should mention that I take synthroid (small dose), high BP medication, and work out to Beachbody Insanity nearly 6 days a week. I am a 44 y/o male.

Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 20 lbs to lose you may be able to handle 1 lb/week at first, but once you get to the last 15 or so you should drop the weekly goal to 0.5lbs/week. This way you ensure you are losing as much fat as possible without sacrificing muscle. If you have a large deficit you will lose muscle along with the fat.

FYI: A man, even trying to lose weight, should not eat less than 1500 Net caloires. And doing insanity you should not take in less than 1700 calories/day.
  • cculver78
    cculver78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough and your body thinks it is starving. 1250 is not a lot, like bare minimum, especially when doing insanity. I would try eating more. Did you do the insanity worksheet that calculates your recommended calorie intake?
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I always thought men shouldn't dip below 1500 calories a day, regardless of weight loss goal.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    plateau'ing is pretty much a given for dieters. happens to nearly everyone. the best advice that i've been given is to change your diet slightly and change your exercise. plateauing (so i've heard) happens when your body gets so used to a routine that it has completely adapted. you need to shake it out the routine, so yes possibly an increase of calories might help or eat a protein high diet for a couple of days followed by a low fat diet for a few days. your body will realise something has changed and hopefully you'll start losing again.
    same with exercise, if possible add in an extra half hour or change the amount of cardio and weights you do.
    not saying you can't change it back after a couple of weeks but in order to knock your body out of routine again, you just need to change it for a bit.

also, i do agree with the others, it may be simply because you arent eating enough. especially with insanity.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I guess it depends on how close you are to your ideal/normal weight. The closer you get, of course, the less you loose. I think you are doing everything right. 1 pound per week is great. I hit that plateau too. Now it is moving again after switching my workouts. Instead of always doing the same I switch it up to different exercises every day like inline skating, running, biking, gym, home DVD. Every day different intenses. Eating more didn't work for me. Hang in there.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I was eating 1200 caloris a day, I am a 5'2 woman. you should be eating abotu 1700-1800 doing Insanity.
  • Eric184
    Eric184 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks to all for the great advice! This just may be the ticket.
  • Eric184
    Options
    Thanks much. This is great advice. I like how you say "only 20 pounds", haha. 20 seems like 200 for me.
  • Eric184
    Options
    With only 20 lbs to lose

20 seems like 200 most days...