Digital vs. Dial Food Scale

Options
I received a dial food scale from my parents for Christmas. First of all, I have to stress how happy I am that my family supports my goals and is willing to buy me things like that for holidays. I see so many posts on here about unsupportive parents and I am super grateful that mine are not like that.

However, after using it for a few months now, I think I might want to transition over to a digital scale to improve the accuracy of my measurements. It's hard to get 49g of something exactly when the gram increments are by 5's, etc. I know I can get a good digital scale for under $20 as well.

Does this make sense? I feel bad ditching the dial scale after only a few months, but I am down to the last 8 pounds and know I need to be more diligent than ever with my weighing and logging. Or, is the dial scale close enough that a gram or two here or there won't be a big deal in the long run?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Digital. Bring the dial scale on trips or something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    However, after using it for a few months now, I think I might want to transition over to a digital scale to improve the accuracy of my measurements. It's hard to get 49g of something exactly when the gram increments are by 5's, etc. I know I can get a good digital scale for under $20 as well.

Typical digital scales of the kind generally used my MFPers aren't accurate to 1 gram, either. Yes, they show a number with that precision, but it's an illusion.

If you just want a digital scale, go for it, but be aware that it won't be any more accurate, and may well be *less* accurate, even though it provides more precise-looking numbers.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was really happy with my dial scale. And then I tried someone's digital scale and... kind of fell in love. It's just easier, faster, prettier. It's at 0 with the touch of a button. It gives you your read-out, no leaning over like "uh, so I'll call that... 122? Or is it more 123?"

A gram or so here and there probably won't make or break your weight loss. But you've come so far, so why not treat yourself a little? And this is a lifelong lifestyle change, so make sure you get the tools that are best suited, whether that's better accuracy or just something you'll enjoy more.

Keep the dial one though. You never know when a second one might come in handy. And the digitals will run out of batteries at inconvenient times! (Like last Thursday, when I was halfway through weighing my breakfast.) Or relocate the dial to your parents' house for use when you visit.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Typical digital scales of the kind generally used my MFPers aren't accurate to 1 gram, either.

from one of the most popular food scales on Amazon that I know other MFPers use:
    "Accurate, easy-to-use digital kitchen scale weighs up to 11 lbs (5050 grams) with precise graduations of 0.05 oz (1 gram)"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Case in point.

"Graduations" is a measure of precision, not of accuracy.

In situations where high accuracy matters, digital scales are constantly being re-calibrated, and they are used in one fixed location, because every time they are moved, they need to be re-calibrated. Very very few people use their kitchen scales with that kind of care, and the real world accuracy is, as a result, a fraction of what the numbers on the screen suggest.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I like my digital scale because it does ounces, fl oz, grams, mL and if the object goes up to a pound, it'll start from there instead of just adding ounces, although sometimes I wish it would.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Case in point.

"Graduations" is a measure of precision, not of accuracy.

In situations where high accuracy matters, digital scales are constantly being re-calibrated, and they are used in one fixed location, because every time they are moved, they need to be re-calibrated. Very very few people use their kitchen scales with that kind of care, and the real world accuracy is, as a result, a fraction of what the numbers on the screen suggest.

I've used my scale on numerous surfaces. The weight of the item has never changed. Neither would the weight change when I weighed the same item on a few different scales, as I have more than one due to the ones I've bought continuously dying too quickly.

TL;DR digital will provide more accurate read outs while also being easier to use (taring, different measurements, can put plates on it, etc).
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Any scale is better than no scale... just like a little knowledge "can be" better than no knowledge. That said, I own a digital scale... accuracy and precision are two different things and there are variables in both digital verses dial... but based on my experience with calibration of weights and measures, I personally feel the digital technology today used in a good food scale gives me a more accurate result.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think when I go home in a couple weeks I'll buy a digital one. I can handle the dial one until then, but since I plan on continuing with this lifestyle change, I want something more user-friendly and seemingly more accurate for the future.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ShifuYaku wrote: »
    I like my digital scale because it does ounces, fl oz, grams, mL and if the object goes up to a pound, it'll start from there instead of just adding ounces, although sometimes I wish it would.

mL? Scale for weight measures volume?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I prefer digital. The dial scales I've had weren't as accurate or convenient.

You can also get weights to ensure your scale is reading accurately and calibrate accordingly.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Digital or not, they're all rough estimates. The calories are rounded off on food labels, you never use the entire container, or lick every molecule off the plate, and your calorie burn is just a ballpark figure. Use whatever's convenient.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Digital is MUCH easier to use when you want to measure multiple things in the same bowl. The "tare" function which sets everything back to zero is great. Throw in 30 g of something. Tare to zero. Throw in 50 g of something else. No need to add up a total. Very easy.